FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By BugBiters
There is a lot of fun going on in my tent at the moment, so I thought I would share some pics :D

Newest pitchers on N. veitchii 'Gunung Murud striped x Candy striped' and 'Highland x Sungai Samba. Someday I want the color of the former on the crazy shape of the latter!
ImageImage

Boschiana mommas for the win - two different clones of N. x 'Song of Melancholy', and my brand new loooooooong N. boschiana x [maxima x (stenophylla x lowii)x(Rokko x veitchii)]
ImageImageImage

Some of my most vigorously growing plants - N. aristolochoides x diabolica and N. thorelii x veitchii 'candy'
ImageImage

N. spectabilis 'Bandahara x Sibuatan' and my first itty bitty flower spike
ImageImage

N. (lowii x merriliana) x [(veitchii x maxima) x veitchii] and fresh pitcher jump on N. cornuta
ImageImage

Seedlings - complex 'viking' hybrid and a pot full of N. (veitchii x burbidgeae) x veitchii
ImageImage

Happy cuttings! N. spectabilis and N. spectabils x ventricosa in sphagnum mix and N. x 'ventrata' in water showing roots
ImageImage
Darkroom Denizen, Matt, MaxVft and 2 others liked this
By MaxVft
Whoowie, those are some nice plants! I especially like the highland samba, just look at those unique ridges!great job,you did good. *applause*
Last edited by MaxVft on Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By BugBiters
MaxVft wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 5:28 am Whoowie,those are some nice plants!I especially like the highland samba,just look at those unique ridges!great job,you did good.*applause*
Thank you! Christian Klein bred both of those veitchii
Supercazzola wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 11:59 am @Bugbiter, can you snap a photo of the pots you’re using? Are they “net” style pots ?

By BugBiters
Gosh dang it, accidentally hit enter before I was done typing,

*Thank you! Christian Klein bred both of those veitchii so he gets 99% of the credit but I am really pleased with how they're developing.

*They are net pots - I recently upgraded my tent to chain hangers instead of rope, so what I do is drill three holes in the net pot, take a piece of the s-chain and make a hook for each hole, and then I can hang them on the chain, move them around easily, etc. I like the extra drainage because it is so moist in there. There's a pic of the pots and what a whole side looks like ^
By BugBiters
Supercazzola wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 7:15 pm That is ingenious ! I may have to copy. Do they just hang off the bars across the top of the grow tent, or did you make some sort of self supported frame they hang from ?
They hang straight off the main frame, bundled into groups of 3 with larger, skinny s-hooks. It has been pretty sturdy so far, but the long-term plan is to sell off my least favorite plants as they grow so it doesn't end up with too much weight on it.
Apollyon wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 9:48 pm Crazy, I believe I also have that insanely long winded N. cross. Did you get it on ebay?
The N. boschiana x [maxima x (stenophylla x lowii)x(Rokko x veitchii)]? I did! Did you get one of the siblings? What a cool batch of plants. And mine is HUGE :shock:
Supercazzola liked this
By BugBiters
More tent fun

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

Really happy with these little youngsters

ImageImageImage

This is a little random, but there are technically three nepenthes in there. My carnivore (and other) terrarium is doing so well! I am already going to have to start ripping things out that are overgrowing after only ~4 months. My Betta hendra have also just bred in there (although I accidentally swished the nest around before I noticed) so I am excited for babies. Fish are my first love, and it is fun to combine them with interesting plants. I was going to put some aquatic bladderwort in there until I realized the betta fry would probably be the perfect size for a snack.

ImageImageImage
plantnerdjules liked this
By Apollyon
BugBiters wrote: The N. boschiana x [maxima x (stenophylla x lowii)x(Rokko x veitchii)]? I did! Did you get one of the siblings? What a cool batch of plants. And mine is HUGE :shock:
Yeah. I think I did actually. When I got it, the plant was about 3 inches or so in diameter but the leaf jumps on it were insane. I probably overfed it tbh lol. Within a few months it was 4x its size. Right now it's pretty levelled out with leaves about 8-9inches long and has a basal growing. Honestly afraid of how big that particular plant will get if I leave it unchecked. Interestingly enough, a few of my Neps decided to crank basals out approx at the same time. Perhaps it is the upsize on the pots I gave them or the seasonal cues. I grow them inside but I've been wanting to get a shade tent set up so I can keep them out for the majority of the year. It's cool to see someone else with the same plant though. I just call it "The Wordy Complex One" :lol:
BugBiters liked this
By BugBiters
Apollyon wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:14 pm
BugBiters wrote: The N. boschiana x [maxima x (stenophylla x lowii)x(Rokko x veitchii)]? I did! Did you get one of the siblings? What a cool batch of plants. And mine is HUGE :shock:
Yeah. I think I did actually. When I got it, the plant was about 3 inches or so in diameter but the leaf jumps on it were insane. I probably overfed it tbh lol. Within a few months it was 4x its size. Right now it's pretty levelled out with leaves about 8-9inches long and has a basal growing. Honestly afraid of how big that particular plant will get if I leave it unchecked. Interestingly enough, a few of my Neps decided to crank basals out approx at the same time. Perhaps it is the upsize on the pots I gave them or the seasonal cues. I grow them inside but I've been wanting to get a shade tent set up so I can keep them out for the majority of the year. It's cool to see someone else with the same plant though. I just call it "The Wordy Complex One" :lol:
You know, I've also had rushes of plants putting out shoots all at the same time (to the point that I searched all over them with a magnifying glass for mites in case they were irritated!). There is definitely something signaling to them. It would be quite a trick to figure it out and be able to do it on command. :D
By BugBiters
Pretty girls! N. spathulata x diatas, N. (eymae x maxima) x (Rokko x veitchii), and fully peltate leaves on N. clipeata x ventricosa
ImageImageImage

N. veitchiii 'Murud x Candy,' N. spectabilis x veitchii, and N. petiolata x vogelii
ImageImageImage

My three boschiana hyrbids together, a crazy pitcher jump on N. hamata x ventricosa, and a new N. spectabilis I'm really excited about
ImageImageImage

Youngsters growing like weeds - hordes of nepenthes and a few freebie sundews that came in moss
ImageImageImage
By BugBiters
geekdad wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:06 pm Beautiful photos and amazing setup! Love it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you so much! It was a lot of work but I am finally running out of things to fix on it ;) All credit to my engineer partner for most of the technical details. The s-chain system has been working really well so far.

I did a major reorganization (again) this weekend. Now, all of my keepers are in columns of similar plants, so that the vines can be wound freely up and down the chain as they grow, and I can still move each column of plants as a unit. I think it was just in time; it was about to become a solid woven mat in there :shock:
By BugBiters
Leaf jumps! N. truncata, N. x Song of Melancholy, and N. veitchii
ImageImageImage

Cannot get over how fluffy this guy is. He's got to have four growth points and over a dozen pitchers - and he's teeny! N. ventricosa x hamata

N. x Song of Melancholy (sorry, you're going to get pictures of these until you're right sick of them :P), N. (veitchii x lowii) - red x burbidgeae (Wish list plant I just got! So happy!), and great funky new shape on N. (veitchii x lowii) x (burbidgeae x edwardsiana)
ImageImageImage

Some of the gang posing

Now I just need some flowers. I have been bumping the light up so hopefully some respond soon. I have at least twelve well-vining plants now. My spectabilis female has doubled in size since she last flowered so I would pollinate now if she were to do it again.
Greggypoos liked this
Re-introduction

Thanks so much for sharing this great information![…]

You know, it kinda hits you different when you onl[…]

Piese originale Ford S-Max 2015-2020 alegerea pi[…]

https://www.pieseford.ro/piese-auto-ford-s-max-20[…]

Hello!

Welcome

Chilly in LA…

I've got a friend in Harvey, but that looks like […]

1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I[…]

The Sphagnum Yacht

We all love cotton...blue jeans, t-shirts, underwe[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!