FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By DragonsEye
Someone I did a plant trade with online sent a surprise of sarr seeds. I'm positive the seeds have not been stratified -- they are far too clean and dry for that. So, should I try to 1) sow them anyway and see if they germinate, 2) stratify them for 6 weeks and try to start them in July (keeping in mind I live in the Great White North where our growing season is pretty much done by the end of August/beginning of September), or 3) store them in the fridge and begin the stratification process this next fall/winter. In case it matters, they are of an open pollinated cross with the pod parent being minor Okee Giant Yellow River.
By murrkywaters
Seedling - 2 year old sarrs can thrive in a terrarium according to the ICPS website. I know I'm too impatient personally to wait to plant them hahaha.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

By ChefDean
Toss them in your fridge for now, but set a notification in the calendar in your phone for, say, January 1st. Then sow them and put 'em outside to let Mother Nature do her thing.
By Panman
If you had lights to put them under then you could stratify and sow them then bring them in for the winter. I started mine during the winter and moved them out this spring. I will probably bring half of them in next winter as an experiment.

If inside isn't an option then they will be fine in the fridge until fall and then into a pot and outside for the winter.
Hi from NC

Hi Chris and welcome to the forums!

My nepenthes pitchers came out wierd

You telling me the pitchers can get bigger?

Hello from NJ

Glad to be here. I have been growing VFTs, drosera[…]

When is the next intervention? Never heard of[…]

eBay sellers

Here are a few more reputable sellers for your lis[…]

Carnivorous uhaul

In a similar vein: I'm hoping that the NC DOT rele[…]

Hang94's Grow List

Attachment limit reached

Drosera seeds giveaway!

Yay! Thank you! Something to go in my new pot. Sen[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!