FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Ewreck
This is my typical from Home Depot. I have had it for a month today. I am wondering tho about the size of my new leaves. The traps are smaller than the one it came with and the petioles are only about a inch long. Is this just the size they are supposed to be now that it is pretty much acclimated ? I figured the long petioles were from lack of light but at the same time the traps on the longer ones are way darker red than any of my new ones which I thought meant they were getting enough. Overall I think it seems healthy tho and is even dividing. But is the new trap size because it’s outgrowing the pot or it’s just getting sufficient light?
Attachments:
9BDA9C80-6D42-406D-AE52-24C2BFD23A16.jpeg
9BDA9C80-6D42-406D-AE52-24C2BFD23A16.jpeg (2.64 MiB) Viewed 434 times
By Benny
Welcome to the forum!

I would not worry too much about the length of the petioles. They look like they are okay and will perk up more if cared for well enough. The plant can, however, do with some more sunlight.

You should probably change the soil. That looks like pure peat moss sludge (like half decomposed).

The watering looks off. It looks way too waterlogged. Bring the water all the way down to half an inch - an inch of water in the tray if you can. The most ideal would be no water in the tray and keep the soil moist 24/7. Make sure you use distilled or reverse osmosis water. (Most) regular tap water will burn the plant.

As for pot size, it should be okay for now. It is a bit difficult to tell the dimensions of the pot, but it isn't unreasonably small. It just wouldn't hurt to plant it into a larger pot.

If you have any more questions, ask away! :D
By Ewreck
Ok thx I’ve been overwatering it then. I’ve read so many dam guides and book and they all say something a little different lol I was hoping the shorter petioles meant it was getting enough sunlight. The real long ones were the ones it had when I bought it.
Finally repotted my Nepenthes

So I've finally gotten around to repotting some of[…]

Beautiful photos and amazing setup! Love it!!! S[…]

Move the cup further to the right and closer to […]

Any updated photos ?

Vented Lids?

I'm about to order some Phytocaps, the vented ones[…]

I think it is clear you mean you went shopping for[…]

Medias and stuff

here's something I'd like to run by, see what you […]

Homemade flytraps?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIgZO_MBkd0

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!