FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By VFTnPups
I bought a Polish Dracula (along with a few other plants) during the last restock. I had a hard time choosing between Trev’s and Polish, but went with Polish because I love tall, upright growers. Looking around at other vft sites, I noticed the cultivar name ‘Dracula’ coming up a few times for different vft, specifically ‘Dracula’, ‘Fake Dracula’, ‘Trev’s Dracula’, and ‘Polish Dracula’. Just for clarification, there are really only 2 different variations, not 4? The name confusion stemming from Trevor Cox cultivating ‘Dracula’ in Ireland and a ‘Fake Dracula’ popping up in Poland?

Trev’s Dracula = Trev’s Dracula or Dracula (shorter growth, very curved arch)
Polish Dracula = Polish Dracula, Fake Dracula, or Dracula (taller growth, normal arch)

If a person has a ‘Dracula’, they can tell which one it is based on growth and trap curvature?
By Matt
I don't know about the number of plants under the name 'Dracula' or similar in other countries, but in the US, I believe the only two in circulation are Trev's Dracula (originally Dracula) and Polish Dracula. I think in the EU there may be more.

Polish Dracula was sent to me from a contact in the EU many years ago who told me it was the "real" Dracula (from Trev Cox) and that he had obtained it from a Polish grower. Well, it turned out not to be Trev's plant, thanks to Trev for helping me get it sorted out. So I renamed it to Polish Dracula because, after growing it for a time, I did enjoy it a lot and thought it was a nice plant.

Then I got a Dracula directly from Trev and started offering it as well. They're both great plants.

Polish Dracula is more of an upright grower and colors up great too, so if that's your taste in flytraps, you chose well. But I think Trev's Dracula is more colorful in the late summer and early fall and is a bit more robust and perhaps a slightly more vigorous grower, at least in our conditions here in southern Oregon.
VFTnPups liked this
By VFTnPups
I see that T. Cox registered ‘Dracula’ with the ICPS and there are no other Dracula cultivars registered. Chatting with growers from Europe, it seems that buying a young ‘Dracula’ and ending up with a Fake/Polish Dracula is still a common occurrence. At least I know which Dracula I will be receiving when buying from you. I will for sure be back for Trev’s. I had a ton of vft in my cart when you restocked and forced myself to cut it down to 6 plants, lol.
Matt liked this
By Matt
VFTnPups wrote:Chatting with growers from Europe, it seems that buying a young ‘Dracula’ and ending up with a Fake/Polish Dracula is still a common occurrence. At least I know which Dracula I will be receiving when buying from you. I will for sure be back for Trev’s.
Yes, there are a lot of people out there just trying to make some quick money who could care less about accurately labeling plants or, even worse, intentionally sell mislabeled plants. Unfortunately, this is becoming more and more common. It used to be that most everyone in the hobby and the business of selling carnivorous plants was reputable. That's far from the case now. If you care about what you're growing, it's always best to buy from a reputable source.
MikeB, VFTnPups liked this
By Big-Jack
You won't be disappointed with the Polish Dracula if you prefer upright growers. In fact I would put it in the "giant" category once matured a few years. It often outperforms my B-52's in trap size and the dente arched traps covered in red swaying in the breeze on long slim stems in its late spring/summer phase gives it a menacing appearance. :twisted:
Matt, VFTnPups liked this
Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, I just wanted your thoughts on Dionaea m.[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!