FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By albertoburrito
My family is going to go on an rv trip soon, for a week at a time, maybe more, maybe less. Is it ok to bring the plant with me? We won't go anywhere too far, so the climate won't change too much, and at most I will have to keep the plant in the rv for a week(with artificial lights).
By Supercazzola
Why not pay someone to water them with distilled water at home? Just thinking of what minimizes impact for them. In an RV, environments will change from day to day.
By albertoburrito
Yeah, but because of the pandemic my family won't let anyone in our house unless its absolutely needed.
By ChefDean
Getting someone to water them while you're away shouldn't necessitate also letting them in your home.
If the plant is outside in an accessible location (backyard that has an unlocked gate), and the water is in a jug by the plant, they won't need to be in the house. The biggest problem would be them actually remembering to water it.
That being said, your plant won't likely suffer anything long term if you were to take it on the road for a week as long as it's not subjected to extremes relative to what it is accustomed to.
By Panman
WARNING: This is only a thought. I have not tried this myself.

If you are only talking about a week, I would think that moving them to a location where you could cover them to maintain moisture while not roasting them in the sun would be better than running the risk of them bouncing around in an RV. If the light is subdued and the temperature moderate, I would think that the plants would just think it was a cloudy week and take a little nap. When you got back you could move them right back to their normal spot. I would think that if they were in a humidity dome or bag, there would be no need to worry about watering them for a week.

Alright, y'all. Shoot it down.
By albertoburrito
I think that is a good idea. I also found a way to keep them watered. It works like a self filling dog bowl, where the water drips out until it meets the hole. Something like this:
Attachments:
2021-04-13.png
2021-04-13.png (60.6 KiB) Viewed 1708 times
Panman, MikeB liked this

If you are going to use peat/perlite just slip pot[…]

Hello!

Welcome

Chilly in LA…

I've got a friend in Harvey, but that looks like […]

1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I[…]

The Sphagnum Yacht

We all love cotton...blue jeans, t-shirts, underwe[…]

I counted 21 in this one. Both are flavas that I g[…]

A few weeks back most of my VFTs suddenly put out […]

Counting to infinity.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!