FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss non-carnivorous plants here

Moderator: Matt

By Frothy_Milk
Got some sphagnum moss courtesy of [mention]Panman [/mention]
Got it sitting on some dried sphagnum, partially sitting in water.

Hopefully I can get a nice pillow goin in the next coming months

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Panman, Apollyon, Vanval1230 liked this
By Frothy_Milk
Panman wrote:I did best with moderate water, medium light, and high humidity. Good luck!
I saw the note have it under a tree that doesn’t get a lot of direct sun and the water is just below the dead sphagnum.

By Supercazzola
It’s tough to do it because it feels wrong, but if the live sphagnum is not already cut to smaller pieces (like 1” long) I’ve had good experience doing it. It creates more places for the moss to grow new heads.
MikeB liked this
By Frothy_Milk
Supercazzola wrote:It’s tough to do it because it feels wrong, but if the live sphagnum is not already cut to smaller pieces (like 1” long) I’ve had good experience doing it. It creates more places for the moss to grow new heads.
I split all the pieces in half already. They’re not 1 inch exactly but close enough. I got two types one is super thick and stubby, the other is long and stringy. I split up the stringy stuff a bit more.

By MikeB
Chopping the moss into small pieces causes each piece to sprout a new plant. It sounds brutal, but it works very well.

I did a little digging and found that there are 20 species of sphagnum moss native to my state (North Carolina). I don't know the species names of the local sphagnum mosses. I put them in two categories: coarse and fine.

Coarse - loose stalk; grows fast; makes deep, fluffy mounds; will swamp smaller plants.
Coarse.jpg
Coarse.jpg (505.5 KiB) Viewed 9184 times
Fine - compact stalk; grows slower; makes small mounds; doesn't do the "tsunami" thing on small plants (or at least takes a while to do this).
Fine.jpg
Fine.jpg (504.72 KiB) Viewed 9184 times
Matt liked this
By Apollyon
Something I like to do is as the heads grow upwards, I'll snap them off and smash them back into the tray. Also like to give a fine amount of fertilizer sparingly every few weeks or so to help it grow but also prevent the heads from burning (Tips will go dark and look burnt)
By CPhunter101
Apollyon wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:16 am Something I like to do is as the heads grow upwards, I'll snap them off and smash them back into the tray. Also like to give a fine amount of fertilizer sparingly every few weeks or so to help it grow but also prevent the heads from burning (Tips will go dark and look burnt)
Moss without fertilizer: grows aprox 1-2 inches per month.
Moss with fertilizer: grows aprox 4+ inches per month.
My live sphagnum moss grows extremely fast (and healthy) with Maxsea fertilizer once a month. :)
By MikeB
CPhunter101 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:25 amMy live sphagnum moss grows extremely fast (and healthy) with Maxsea fertilizer once a month. :)
Did you use MaxSea at full strength or dilute it?
By CPhunter101
MikeB wrote:Did you use MaxSea at full strength or dilute it?
Never use Maxsea at full strength, it'll burn sphagnum moss + CPs. Always dilute Maxsea to 1/4 teaspoon per gallon to be safe.
By Apollyon
1/4 Probably is a safe bet. I use 1/2 when I'm spraying my CPs but I have some in a live moss container and the surrounding moss does sometimes get burned from once a week. Every couple weeks seems to be *ok* but I think 3-4 weeks would be better. I also had serious growth on the finer moss. The thicker stuff seems to grow much slower. Be making a couple more trays. With any luck I won't be going broke buying dead moss!
By Apollyon
CPhunter101 wrote:
Apollyon wrote:I use 1/2 when I'm spraying my CPs
Just a question, how is 1/2 strength Maxsea on your CPs? Does it increase growth better than 1/4 strength?
Tbh, I don't think it would make too much of a difference. The plants handle it fine though and I see consistent growth on all of them. The pitcher plants (Nep. Ceph. Sarr) all seem to respond favorably. I fill the pitchers as well on the Sarr/Ceph and they have nice gains. That said though, I would fill the pitchers of Sarrs with 1/4. I burned out the pitchers at the water line when filling with 1/2 so I'd probably do 1/4 in general to make that easier. Thankfully the growing season is really just starting so I'll be able to cut my loss. Had a rocky start this year with some pests and the burning but I did 1/4 and they seem to be doing fine now. I notice my pinguicula make decent moves after being fed as well. I fertilize at night and I'm usually seeing some kind of changes in them within a couple of days.
CPhunter101 liked this
By MikeB
CPhunter101 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:01 pmNever use Maxsea at full strength, it'll burn sphagnum moss + CPs. Always dilute Maxsea to 1/4 teaspoon per gallon to be safe.
I always dilute MaxSea to 1/4 strength. I was just curious if people were successful using it at stronger dosages. The general consensus is "no".
Re-introduction

Thanks so much for sharing this great information![…]

You know, it kinda hits you different when you onl[…]

Piese originale Ford S-Max 2015-2020 alegerea pi[…]

https://www.pieseford.ro/piese-auto-ford-s-max-20[…]

Hello!

Welcome

Chilly in LA…

I've got a friend in Harvey, but that looks like […]

1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I[…]

The Sphagnum Yacht

We all love cotton...blue jeans, t-shirts, underwe[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!