FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

List the plants you grow

Moderator: Matt

User avatar
By MikeB
Location: 
Posts:  665
Joined:  Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:13 pm
#370618
Venus flytraps

Typicals (300+)
A2
All
All Green
Australian Red Rosetted
B52
B52 x A2
B52 x Slack's Giant
BCP Red Bull
BCP Red Dentate
BCP Titan
Big Mouth
Big Tomato
Bimbo
Blood Red
Clumping
Colorado Giant
DC
DC XL
Dingley Giant
Dingley Giant x Low Giant
El Gecko
Fang
Fine Tooth x Red
Flaming Lips
G-14 Rosetted
G14 Rosette x Alien
G16 Slack's Giant
G17 Megatraps
Giant BestCP clone
Giant Upright Burgundy Trap
Ginormous
Gremlin
Grün
Leo Song's Jaws
Long Red Fingers
Low Giant
Orca
Petite Dragon x Petite Dragon
Pinnacle
Purple Ambush
Red Jaws
Red Purple
Red Top
Sawtooth
SD Draco
SD Kronos
SL 15
Southwest Giant
SP2
Towering Giant
Vigorous
Wally
Yellow
Z11

The "REDRUM" collection
Bohemian Garnet
Clayton's Red Sunset
Holland Red
Maroon Monster
Pink Venus
Red Dragon
Red Onyx
Red Sangria
Red Typical
Royal Red

Drosera

D. burmannii
D. capillaris 'Emerald's Envy'
D. capillaris 'Long Arm'
D. x 'Dreamsicle'
D. filiformis var. filiformis
D. intermedia
D. intermedia x capillaris
D. x obovata 'Ivan's Paddle'
D. rotundifolia x intermedia 'Nightmare'
D. tracyi


Sarracenia

S. alata
var. rubrioperculata
Red Throat

S. flava
var. atropurpurea - Blackwater State Forest, Florida
var. cuprea
var. flava
var. ornata
var. ornata "Outlaw site" seedlings, Florida
var. maxima
var. rubricorpora
Cinnamon Tube

S. leucophylla or x moorei (seller wasn't sure which, not old enough to tell yet)

S. minor ssp. minor

S. oreophila
var. ornata 'Sand Mountain'
var. oreophila

S. psittacina var. okefenokeensis

S. purpurea
ssp. purpurea f. heterophylla
OP DJ JHP5 (not sure of its ancestry, suspect that it may be a ssp. purpurea X ssp. venosa cross)
ssp. venosa - Onslow County NC, Pender County NC, no location data
Tattnall County, Georgia
'Big Fib'
'Veinless' - ssp. purpurea X ssp. venosa, "select ruffly lid genetics"
'Venosa Red'
var. montana - Transylvania County, NC

S. rosea
Bay County, Florida
Chipola. Florida
Southern Baldwin County, Alabama
Walton County, Florida
No location data
'Fat Chance'

S. rubra
ssp. rubra
ssp. wherryi

S. x 'Dixie Lace'
S. x 'Doreen's Colossus'
S. x 'Hummer's Hammerhead'

S. x moorei
flava var. cuprea x 'Leah Wilkerson'
flava var. rugelii x leucophylla - Yellow River, Florida
Last edited by MikeB on Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:08 am, edited 17 times in total.
Matt, Ben Goudge, MaxVft liked this
User avatar
By Panman
Location: 
Posts:  1858
Joined:  Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:41 pm
#370650
:shock:
User avatar
By MikeB
Location: 
Posts:  665
Joined:  Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:13 pm
#370656
Thanks! I've been feeding my obsession for over 20 years. Now I need a smaller house with a bigger yard.
By EricF
Posts:  32
Joined:  Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:53 pm
#370800
Great list of VFTs MikeB! A few really interesting crosses in there too. With that many cultivars, I’m curious what your favorites might be if you don’t mind?
User avatar
By MikeB
Location: 
Posts:  665
Joined:  Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:13 pm
#370818
EricF wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:29 amWith that many cultivars, I’m curious what your favorites might be if you don’t mind?
I have so many nice ones that it's hard to single some out. If I had to choose just a few, I really like these:

Big Vigorous
Fine Tooth x Red
Low Giant
Wally
Yellow

In the all-red category, most of them are recent acquisitions. Royal Red did well this past summer, and Pink Venus looks promising. I'm hoping that my Maroon Monsters kick into high gear in the spring.
User avatar
By Matt
Location: 
Posts:  22424
Joined:  Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:28 pm
#370822
MikeB wrote:I have so many nice ones that it's hard to single some out. If I had to choose just a few, I really like these:

Big Vigorous
Fine Tooth x Red
Low Giant
Wally
Yellow
Those would all be on my top list of plants too, except Yellow. I've never been very impressed with that plant (if it is the clone I'm thinking of). Our FTS Yellow is an amazing yellow color but an exceptionally weak grower.

MikeB wrote:In the all-red category, most of them are recent acquisitions. Royal Red did well this past summer, and Pink Venus looks promising. I'm hoping that my Maroon Monsters kick into high gear in the spring.
FTS Maroon Monster will definitely be on the list too! It is the most vigorous red-leafed flytrap I've ever grown and I've grown pretty much all of them at this point, except some of the newest ones coming out, which don't seem to have the same size potential nor vigor.
User avatar
By MikeB
Location: 
Posts:  665
Joined:  Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:13 pm
#370830
Matt wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:27 pmThose would all be on my top list of plants too, except Yellow. I've never been very impressed with that plant (if it is the clone I'm thinking of). Our FTS Yellow is an amazing yellow color but an exceptionally weak grower.
I picked up my Yellow cultivars from Jeremiah in Colorado (snagged a pot full of them on eBay). They grew okay for me this summer, but I've had them for less than a year. I'll see how well they do in the spring. They definitely live up to the name: an odd shade of yellow but perfectly healthy.
Matt wrote:FTS Maroon Monster will definitely be on the list too! It is the most vigorous red-leafed flytrap I've ever grown and I've grown pretty much all of them at this point, except some of the newest ones coming out, which don't seem to have the same size potential nor vigor.
My Maroon Monsters sputtered this year due to old soil. I repotted them a few months ago, keeping my fingers crossed that I don't have any crazy weather this winter.
User avatar
By Matt
Location: 
Posts:  22424
Joined:  Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:28 pm
#370883
MikeB wrote:I picked up my Yellow cultivars from Jeremiah in Colorado (snagged a pot full of them on eBay).
ssssss
Do you know his source for them? I think the primary Yellow cultivar in circulation is the one that Cook's sells. It doesn't look very yellow to me but rather a light shade of green.

Hope the FTS Maroon Monsters boom into spring growth for you. Feed them and they go crazy!
User avatar
By MikeB
Location: 
Posts:  665
Joined:  Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:13 pm
#370896
Matt wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:58 amDo you know his source for them? I think the primary Yellow cultivar in circulation is the one that Cook's sells. It doesn't look very yellow to me but rather a light shade of green.
Unfortunately, I don't know where Jeremiah got them from. I noticed that the traps get a bit pink inside when they're cold (I'm running mid-30's to mid-50's here, and the plants are outdoors, exposed to the elements).

I snagged a pot of his 'alba' flytraps this fall. Believe it or not, they're brighter green than the Grün cultivar plants (but with smaller traps).
User avatar
By Matt
Location: 
Posts:  22424
Joined:  Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:28 pm
#370946
MikeB wrote:Unfortunately, I don't know where Jeremiah got them from. I noticed that the traps get a bit pink inside when they're cold (I'm running mid-30's to mid-50's here, and the plants are outdoors, exposed to the elements).
Any photos?!! :D
MikeB wrote:I snagged a pot of his 'alba' flytraps this fall. Believe it or not, they're brighter green than the Grün cultivar plants (but with smaller traps).
Interesting. Keep me in mind if you have a division you can part with!
User avatar
By MikeB
Location: 
Posts:  665
Joined:  Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:13 pm
#370983
Matt wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:10 pm
MikeB wrote:Unfortunately, I don't know where Jeremiah got them from. I noticed that the traps get a bit pink inside when they're cold (I'm running mid-30's to mid-50's here, and the plants are outdoors, exposed to the elements).
Any photos?!! :D
Here are the Yellow cultivars at auction time:
Yellow - at auction time.jpg
Yellow - at auction time.jpg (28.33 KiB) Viewed 2145 times
And here they are now, in dormancy:
Yellow - dormant.jpg
Yellow - dormant.jpg (309.24 KiB) Viewed 2145 times
Yellow - dormant, whole pot.jpg
Yellow - dormant, whole pot.jpg (356.69 KiB) Viewed 2145 times
It's been cold here lately (dropped to 27 F / -3 C last night), and the plants are looking a bit pink. They aren't huge plants, but their unusual color makes them stand out in the crowd.
Matt wrote:
MikeB wrote:I snagged a pot of his 'alba' flytraps this fall. Believe it or not, they're brighter green than the Grün cultivar plants (but with smaller traps).
Interesting. Keep me in mind if you have a division you can part with!
Here's a pic of the All Green cultivars at auction time:
All Green - at auction time.jpg
All Green - at auction time.jpg (106.51 KiB) Viewed 2145 times
I like having some non-red flytraps in my collection, adds some variety and color contrast. It looks like there are 5 or 6 plants in the pot. When I move them to a bigger pot in the spring, I'll send one your way.
User avatar
By Matt
Location: 
Posts:  22424
Joined:  Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:28 pm
#371013
That does look like the Yellow cultivar that comes from Cook's that I've grown in the past.
MikeB wrote:I like having some non-red flytraps in my collection, adds some variety and color contrast. It looks like there are 5 or 6 plants in the pot. When I move them to a bigger pot in the spring, I'll send one your way.
Sweet, thanks so much!
Maxsea for seedlings?

As I said, I cut down on the tedium because I do[…]

That looks more like mineral burn or rot to me. Wh[…]

Hose water?

It is better to use a special non-toxic hose

I keep both Dionaea M. 'Fused Tooth' and 'Fuzzy Te[…]

Re using plant mixutre.

Oh okaay, I think I get it. Makes sense, I'll simp[…]

Here is how nice mine looks after only four months[…]

Lee's Botanical Gardens

Just got some temperate pings. Caerula, lutea, and[…]

Order received! Thank you!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!