Nepenthes0260 wrote:Where did you buy it from? Any background info? Kind of looks like a nutans "giant" (glabra x nutans). Nice plant though!
Thanks! So this was sold to me as H. heterodoxa. I suspected since I got it that it is not, mostly based on comparing internet pictures. There are 2 reasons on the side of believing it:
- The seller is an experienced and knowledgeable CP collector.
- My understanding is that the 'heterodoxa' name is due to the great variability within the species
These are the reasons I think it's something else:
- Waist and pitcher mouth shape are more elegant than the cylindrical heterodoxa.
- The nectar spoon is much smaller than any picture of heterodoxa I could find. And I am assuming (maybe incorrectly) that nectar spoon size is purely based on genetics, not anything related to growing conditions
Comparing pictures led me to thinking it looks more like nutans or ionasi, with nutans being much more likely since it's more common in cultivation. And I have no idea how to begin to determine if it's some kind of hybrid.
So now I'm wondering which action I should take:
- Keep calling it heterodoxa
- Start calling it nutans
- Demote it to 'unknown'