FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By frosty
I left my VFT outside last night and it's suffered some frost damage, especially on the older leaves. Is there anything I can do to help it besides wait? I've moved it indoors and will keep it indoors for the rest of winter.

I live in zone 7 and the plant has been outside all summer. It started off as a single "death cube" plant in a 3in pot I found at the hardware store almost a year ago. It hasn't properly undergone dormancy yet, as it was flowering this time last year (It has produced 6 different flower shoots since I've had it) so I was hoping the cooler weather would help it go dormant.

Well, it dropped below 0C last night and a bunch of leaves as well as the flower seems to have sustained heavy damage and/or died. It's growing in a 4in pot with pure sphagnum moss. The water is rainwater as it's been raining- I haven't watered it since August. It caught the flies by itself, I haven't fed it since moving it outside in March.

While the older leaves have been slowly dying off for the past few weeks, this is the most "wilting" I've seen in one night, along with discoloration the likes of which I've never seen. Some of the traps that were still digesting flies died too. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. it's been growing so well, I would hate to lose it.

Thanks,

Frosty
Attachments:
vft frost.jpg
vft frost.jpg (253.69 KiB) Viewed 1265 times
vft frost2.jpg
vft frost2.jpg (624.54 KiB) Viewed 1265 times
By optique
It frosts a lot of nights in its natural environment. the longer ones always die off in dormancy. well natural dormancy anyway.

It would take a few days of deep cold in the 20F's to cause real damage from frost burn or dehydrated tissue .

Image vs Image
steve booth liked this
By tommyr
frosty wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:30 am I left my VFT outside last night and it's suffered some frost damage, especially on the older leaves. Is there anything I can do to help it besides wait? I've moved it indoors and will keep it indoors for the rest of winter.
They can take brief frosts. They should be fine.

looks ok but i wanted to pass on what i am doing. […]

I've acquired some Avid and wanted some advice on […]

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!