FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By cryostasis
I read that and they found out that when one trigger hair is activated for around 30 seconds the plant boost out calciun when another trigger was touched it then closes the trap. Really amazing.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

By sanguinearocks101
optique wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:43 pm
sanguinearocks101 wrote:@optique, I can’t see your pictures, they just keep on loading, does anyone know why?
Can someone please tell me what it says, I can’t see.
By Matt
Thanks for posting this! I've been meaning to get back on the forums for a while and post this article.

I actually reached out to the authors of the study to see if I could get one of the VFTs that they made glow. They responded! Unfortunately, the glowing of the flytraps can't be seen with the unaided eye :cry:
By Matt
optique wrote:I am no expert but i cant see CP's that glow very long or very bright. the energy requirements must be a strain on normal plants.
Did you read the article? From what I recall reading, they genetically engineered the flytrap to create bioluminescence by introducing a gene for a calcium sensor protein called GCaMP6, which glows green whenever it binds to calcium. They then proved that it was calcium ions rushing through the trap that actually caused the trap to snap shut after reaching a certain threshold. So yeah, the glowing wouldn't last long -- just when the trap pushes calcium through it to trigger it to close and, I suppose, however long it would take for it to flush out the calcium.
By Adelae
Matt wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:00 pm
optique wrote:I am no expert but i cant see CP's that glow very long or very bright. the energy requirements must be a strain on normal plants.
Did you read the article? From what I recall reading, they genetically engineered the flytrap to create bioluminescence by introducing a gene for a calcium sensor protein called GCaMP6, which glows green whenever it binds to calcium. They then proved that it was calcium ions rushing through the trap that actually caused the trap to snap shut after reaching a certain threshold. So yeah, the glowing wouldn't last long -- just when the trap pushes calcium through it to trigger it to close and, I suppose, however long it would take for it to flush out the calcium.
Oh! I've used GCaMP6 in neurons in my grad school research! It is insanely cool to see it in a flytrap leaf.

It actually might be worse for the plant to try and get it to glow really bright with GCaMP6 than some protein like GFP that just glows all the time, come to think of it. Making too much of a fluorescent protein uses up a lot of energy, but making too much of a calcium indicator...binds up all the cell's calcium. And calcium is really important for a huge number of signaling processes in cells, so you really don't want it all going to making GCaMP6 glow. Probably best to keep it on the dim side, unfortunately : (
Matt liked this

You know, it kinda hits you different when you onl[…]

Piese originale Ford S-Max 2015-2020 alegerea pi[…]

https://www.pieseford.ro/piese-auto-ford-s-max-20[…]

Hello!

Welcome

Chilly in LA…

I've got a friend in Harvey, but that looks like […]

1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I[…]

The Sphagnum Yacht

We all love cotton...blue jeans, t-shirts, underwe[…]

I counted 21 in this one. Both are flavas that I g[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!