FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By murrkywaters
2 of the 4 are going off now. The other two never came back out of dormancy, so they'll have to wait until next year. There is some thrip damage, which I'm working on treating, but the hoods/peristomes are already pretty revealing about the parentage. One of the dormant rhizomes was a division of the redder plant with the strong minor morphology. Cool stuff.ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Berrybob liked this
By jose
Looks slightly like Alata influence. By waiting for next year do you mean those two rhizomes didn’t grow all year? If so they are dead
By murrkywaters
Nah, they only came a couple months ago. They were shipped dormant, and look healthy, with little spikes of growth on them. They just aren't pitchering.

By jose
Sarracenia go dormant in winter. A couple months ago was Summer
By murrkywaters
They can also go dormant while stressed. I'll eat my hat if I'm wrong, but I'll bet you right now that a plant "shipped dormant" with no signs of rot, and some tissue production on the growth point, is dormant - not dead.

Panman liked this
By murrkywaters
Wow! The hood on that pitcher has really developed into something special! I can't wait for it to finish coloring up!

Ps. The last picture is the dormant rhizome. As you can see it has an active growth point that is not pitchering. I found some adult thrips on it that I'm now treating with sns 209 in addition to the neem and orthene. I am starting to think that this one is the source of my thrip woes.ImageImageImageImage

By Apollyon
Could be. I've been trying to find the source of my aphid problems for a while now. The majority of my plants were never affected but if I prune a bonsai or something I grow indoors, the hive comes out for dinner (they particularly love weak and new growth). I hadn't seen them for months and then all the sudden they're hugging a petio and some of my pinguicula. Thankfully it isn't nearly as serious. I pluck them off and feed them to the plant to deliver righteous justice.

Pests can have all kinds of ill effects on plants but I'm inclined to believe that you're right in that stress is the likely culprit. I received my Sarracenias from a known breeder who does his due diligence with the plants. I noticed species react differently to shipping. I received an Alata which responded within a couple of weeks with its new pitcher. The Flavas however (I got 3 of those, they're my top choice) took a long time to show growth. I didn't expect them to really launch this season, more establish themselves. I didn't see any real growth out of them for a few months and now the season is winding down. I hope to see different plants come spring time.

The one leuco hybrid I have (judith hindle) actually did pretty good this season considering it was shipped mid-late spring with 2 pitchers. Size is a factor there too I'm sure. I'm thinking a couple of my plants are seed grown so they're not growing with the same vigor. If you're emulating nature with your grow setup, I would wager you'll also see an entirely different container next season.
By murrkywaters
I think the 209 is going to do the trick. I just found three more dead adults floating in my utricularia volubilis cup. I figure it'll bounce back in the spring.

By murrkywaters
Yep! Those are some very small b52 plugs I got from uxleumas

By Apollyon
It's an awesome setup. I did something like this for my pinguicula. I used a 1020 tray and packed it with Mexican Ping soil. Ironically, they're doing better in the tray than in individual pots. Go figure.
By murrkywaters
The air stone in the reservoir does seem to help with root development. I'm guessing it's the extra oxygen in the water.

By murrkywaters
Well, looks like the stressed one is trying to put out a flower stalk, perhaps as a last ditch effort to share its genes. I'm deciding whether or not to let it bloom so I can get seeds from it. The other option is to cut the flower stalk off. Anyone have luck with propagation via flower stalk cuttings with sarracenia?

Chilly in LA…

I've got a friend in Harvey, but that looks like […]

Hello!

I also just started growing this plant. Can we dis[…]

Hey all, just got my order in today and figured I'[…]

1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I[…]

The Sphagnum Yacht

We all love cotton...blue jeans, t-shirts, underwe[…]

I counted 21 in this one. Both are flavas that I g[…]

A few weeks back most of my VFTs suddenly put out […]

Counting to infinity.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!