FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By lilshophorror
It's been over a month with these and I'm not sure what's wrong. Can someone guide me? First time with these. Thanks. (Btw I'm in Miami, humidity is high now) could that be the issue? Should I bring them indoors? Especially the one turning brown.
Attachments:
20200927_154310-1.jpg
20200927_154310-1.jpg (997.95 KiB) Viewed 2726 times
20200927_154323-1.jpg
20200927_154323-1.jpg (909.89 KiB) Viewed 2726 times
By That one plant boi
Judging by the photos, the media appears to be a bit dry, but I've got bad eyes so correct me if I'm wrong. High humidity wouldn't be the issue as these plants love humidity. What are your growing conditions like?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

By lilshophorror
I have maintained their medium damp. Water once to twice a week. (Yes in the photo they were dry on top, I had not watered it yet, so your eyes are fine lol.) I have them in peat moss and perlite mix.
By optique
I have got a few plants from CAR. they keep there green houses perfect temps and high humidity, so the plants always have to be accumulated to my not so perfect conditions. and by that I mean bagging.

How much direct Miami sun do they get? i can imagine the black pots and treys getting so hot in direct sun.

the media looks like LFSM(long fibered sphagnum moss) and perlite, thats what i use. peat is that black dirt looking media

I have a N. Diana i have had for a year it likes a lot less light then my other ventricosa hybrids. I would treat it like a lowlander if you want it looking good.
By lilshophorror
It does get some direct sunlight but only a few hours a day. As I read it I remembered that I did add some LFSM to the mix but not much. Mostly peat moss and perlite. (I would say the mix is 60% PM, 35% PL, 5% LFSM). I do find that there are some small weeds that I have to constantly pull too. I think it killed my Ping. But not sure what's happening now with these. They were growing pitchers but now taking a turn. Should I put them inside? or just out of the sun completely? Or repot and see what happens? I don't want to lose them. Thanks
By Apollyon
Think what's most important is not letting the media get too dry. I've had experience with pitchers dying off from not having the media damp enough. I live in Florida too and find myself watering a lot, especially if you're keeping it in the sun. LFS works well for maintaining moisture at a nice level while supplying aeration to the roots. I'll typically do a 50/50 sphagnum/perlite or something like 40/30/30 Sphaghnum/Perlite/Orchid bark as a mix for Nepenthes. Most do well in soil mixes like that. Peat moss, not so much. Ventricosas are supposedly very tough and adaptable. The newest leaf on the one burning out still looks healthy. I think your ping probably died from inhabitable conditions, tbh. Both Pings and Neps grow in climates outside of ours and don't really enjoy direct sunlight here (except the warm temperates like primuliflora). Neps generally like bright shade (indirect) all day.

Also if the pitchers are drying out on the newer ones and you don't see any liquid in them, fill them up a bit with some distilled or RO water. Every time I got a Nep and didn't do that, they all dried out from losing their fluid in shipping. They react in different ways and don't tolerate changes in their environment well. I've had them act out in several different ways if I didn't carefully adapt it.

This also might be a silly question, but what kind of water are you using to water them? Nepenthes are tougher but they still need low mineral water, RO or Distilled. I wouldn't do tap water over 50 ppm. Humidity definitely won't be the problem for Nepenthes. Virtually all of them do best in high humidity. Ventricosa is considered an intermediate plant, they're likely not going to thrive in direct Florida sun for any length of time, especially during the tail end of Summer. I'll bet it hasn't had that kind of light exposure before. Florida sun in 9b is brutal, I imagine where you are it is straight abusive lol. If you can, try putting them into a semi-shaded spot for a time and see how they do. It'll improve during the Fall, I'm sure. I have a Rafflesiana x Mira that I kind of adapted to heavier sun but it took a beating to get there. It's had a rough life lol, I'm determined to do right by it now. Just don't keep it outside when it starts getting "cold." Look into Ventricosa care as all Neps have their own nuances. Those are supposedly easier to care for (next on my list probably lol) but a general idea and knowledge of the plant will go a long way. It does help that all of your plants are ventricosa based. The Diana probably won't like the sun at all, it's crossed with a highland but probably has the tolerance of the mother (Ventricosa)
Drosera germination time

What Chef Dean said... But if I had to pick a num[…]

Counting to infinity.

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!