FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Joshuamarshall792
I really need advice here, I cannot ever successfully keep any fly trap alive here in Texas... I'm tired of killing them! My vft is getting light from a 1120 lumen GE halogen bulb, my plant is either going through serious stress or it is dying like all the rest! But HOWEVER! MY S.purpurea is growing just fine! My jaws is tired of me! I really need help getting my friend back to life... I don't want to waste anymore money! I want to impress my dad by keeping one of these alive, I have it sitting in a 2 liter bottle under lower light because it looks very very sick! I need help immediately please don't just ignore me! It is dying very quick!
ImageImage

dragons are red, scams are blue, but green is true!
By Panman
So I see it is in a tiny pot. Are you sitting it in a tray of water? It may be too wet for it. What is it potted in? On the other hand, it may be getting to hot from the lights. What is the soil temperature? I use a meat thermometer to check mine (shh, don't tell my wife) I doubt it is a humidity problem. VFTs don't seem to care. The last option is pests. I, see some blemishes on the leaves that could be from a bug. How long have you had it?
By Joshuamarshall792
I had it for a week now, it is freshly potted in a mix of pet fly trap's silica sand, peat moss and some little rocks about the size of a small bead! The plant I just put in something bigger according to the internet's advice... I also put it in a tray of water! It has been misted every day, the soil is a little warm but mostly cold, the plant has not been outside it was grown indoors in a pest treated greenhouse at petflytrap's nursery in spring texas! They sent it to me well wrapped up and it was already potted when I got it... It was really taking over the pot even though it has a very small rhizome, It is very gloomy outdoors lots of cloud coverage so I can't put it out there it is almost 64 degrees here... I honestly think it needs to stay indoors, it is only 1 years old according to petflytrap's owner Stephanie and mike! Please tell me what else is wrong

By Joshuamarshall792
I told u guys in the first post on the very top!

By Joshuamarshall792
Alright this is weird, so I left it in the 2 liter bottle right? The plant started getting a little better looking and is starting to look healthier in my window with the 2 liter bottle! The plant must of needed humidity, I ran into the same exact thing with my sarracenia, it started growing much faster in a 2 liter bottle with it in the window! So I guess the answer is humidity, because, I don't have a humid house nor do I have a humid outdoors, it is mostly 30% and the plant is not loving outdoors so I can probably leave it in the bottle and leave the lid open at some points so it doesn't get to gross and lead to it death... I will keep it in that as long as it looks bad I was told by Stephanie at petflytrap that she recommends that I DO keep it humid because they have their greenhouse at 90% and is left to air out completely every 3 weeks, so it doesn't kill them, so they said they even risk keeping them in Texas due to the climate changes and climate/temperature issues, they risk their plant's lives by even putting them outdoors, so she told me keep it indoors in a terrarium, give it enough light, not direct light, and it needs bright indirect light, so it doesn't kill them, I'm gonna go by the people that raised them and take their advice I will tell you now! Every plant I have received from them has tons of life and amazing health, please don't take this the wrong way, I've been on their Facebook, it is look up petflytrap on Facebook or go to petflytrap.com online and take a look at their plants their neps get HUGE! bigger than anything I've seen on this forum! Please look at their website and fb!!! Thank you for everything guys

By optique
my guess would be the amount of lighting i don't know the math to compare that light bulb to the sun. but considering your purpurea is in better shape in the same conditions, my guess is lighting.

most post you see on this forum of people asking why there VFT looks like crap the pic will show it inside a home. i know it can be grown well/healthy inside but its tricky and expensive to mimic full sun temperate conditions in a average home.

If growing temperate inside ends badly try tropical plants, some sundews and nepenthes.
By Panman
The problem is that you have only had the plant for a week. It was already stressed from shipping. Then it is adjusting to new water, new light, and new humidity. Then you repotted it and caused it more stress. It will take a couple of weeks for a plant that has handled shipping well to look good. It can take longer if it was abused in the shipping process. The humidity dome is helping because you are returning one of the parameters that it was used to. Unless your pot is very deep, sitting it in a tray of water may cause problems long term. Your best bet is to find its permanent location, and get it there. When I received in flytraps from Oregon they sat outside, where they were going, but in a shaded location. They adjusted to the temperature, humidity, and light in a couple of weeks. Another aspect you are going to need to face, is that this plant was grown in a greenhouse without artificial lighting. That means that it has been experiencing diminishing hours of sun for the past 3 months. It is going to be headed into dormancy. Trying to force it out of that may stress it even more.

My advice, stop fussing with it and leave it alone. Keep the soil damp but not wet, don't cook it with the plant light, and let it catch its breath.
By Panman
You said you were using a halogen bulb. As I understand it, those put out quite a bit of heat and if you have it in an enclosed space, it can bake it.
By Joshuamarshall792
Duh lol I know that! I took it out of that, because of what you guys said, so yes it is in a small thing of water now

By Joshuamarshall792
Let me re fraise that is in a good sized pot sitting in a tray of water

Is this a pest?

One point I'm not clear on, though. How does the[…]

GA3 sources

Yeah I'm getting some from ebay. The same source M[…]

Vft dying

Umm okay I used a exclamation point instead o[…]

Mature FTS Flaming Lips

Is it in a terra-cotta pot? If so I would quickly […]

The new growth would actually be considered branch[…]

Nepenthes seeds just harvest

Just wondering, did they turn out to be legit?(I […]

Music

Okay troll no#2 bad joke, don't go after people […]

Attempting Hybridization

Congratulations, hopefully if it maintains it&rsqu[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!