FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By VFTNoob
Hi all,

This will be my first dormancy with LFSM. I have scanned the forums and read the back and forth between the pros and cons of the media. I heeded all the warnings and water my plant trays to where there is no water by the end of the day. I live in zone 9 and grow all my plants outside and will continue to do so for dormancy.

For the growers who leave their plants outside during dormancy, do you let it rain on your plants? I have some greenhouse material that I used to build a mini greenhouse for seedlings. Should I throw some over my adult plants to better control the amount of water they receive?

I have some seedlings planted with my adult plants so I try not to have the media too dry or too wet up top. Forecast for the next couple of days is rainy and gloomy with lows of 65-70. The highs will get back into the 90s for a bit before stabilizing into the 80s until November. I have been dumping excess water out of the trays at night, but because of the rain, the moss is more soaked than usual. Any other precautions I can take over the next few days?

Lastly, fungicides. I use Scotts DiseaseEx as a systemic fungicide once a month. I also have access to Bioadvanced 3 in 1. Which one of these would be better for an application during dormancy? And if there's a better fungicide out there, please share!

http://imgur.com/gallery/kep6vQU
By sanguinearocks101
I’d just leave them outside and let nature do it’s job. You live in a good spot for outdoor dormancy. Putting them in a greenhouse will probably be too warm for them. Let it rain on the plants but don’t let it be constantly soaked . You’re plants will be fine during the next few days, just drain the excess water out after. I very highly doubt they’ll get rot. Any chance you can send some of that warm weather up to NJ? We already have 40 degree nights :D
By VFTNoob
I would just let nature run its course, but all the stuff I read worries me slightly. Im aiming for a 100% survivability rate and in nature its nowhere near that haha. They'll still get plenty sun in my backyard so I'm hoping that will help.

Wish I could send you some of this weather! Been an interesting few days. High of 75 and low of 70 haha
By MikeB
VFTNoob wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:01 pmI live in zone 9 and grow all my plants outside and will continue to do so for dormancy.
The flytrap's native range is in zones 7b through 8b, so your location is fine for outside dormancy.
VFTNoob wrote:For the growers who leave their plants outside during dormancy, do you let it rain on your plants?
Yes, I let nature do its thing. However, if it rains enough to fill the trays (1 inch / 2.5 centimeters deep), I drain them so the plants aren't left sitting in cold water for long periods of time.
VFTNoob wrote:I have some seedlings planted with my adult plants so I try not to have the media too dry or too wet up top.
My seedlings seem to grow bigger and faster in the large pots with their parents than in trays with just other seedlings.
VFTNoob wrote:I have been dumping excess water out of the trays at night, but because of the rain, the moss is more soaked than usual. Any other precautions I can take over the next few days?
Since it is raining so much, dumping the excess water is a good idea to prevent the plants from being sopping-wet all the time.
VFTNoob wrote:I use Scotts DiseaseEx as a systemic fungicide once a month.
I don't think that constantly applying the fungicide as a preventative treatment is a good idea. You're only encouraging fungi to develop resistant to azoxystrobin (akin to taking antibiotics constantly when you aren't sick).
By VFTNoob
Appreciate the response! LFSM just seems so soaked after rainfall. Even with draining the trays, I just want to take the moss out and squeeze it like a sponge lol. As far as the green house, itd just be the material for it that I'd throw over my contraption to keep pests out. I'll leave them out, let it rain on them and follow your advice about keeping the tray drained. I'm probably overthinking all this anyway.

My first dormancy last year, I had a rocketfarm typical in that small pot it comes in with 100% peat. I left it in standing water, rain, unattended thrips and even a flower mid dormancy. Its still alive, but those suckers are mass produced because they're so hard to kill. :lol:

The flower may have been from it being confused though :?:
Hello!

Welcome

Chilly in LA…

I've got a friend in Harvey, but that looks like […]

Hey all, just got my order in today and figured I'[…]

1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I[…]

The Sphagnum Yacht

We all love cotton...blue jeans, t-shirts, underwe[…]

I counted 21 in this one. Both are flavas that I g[…]

A few weeks back most of my VFTs suddenly put out […]

Counting to infinity.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!