FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By P A U L
They're going to look like they're all dying. They'll turn black and whiter away. They'll come back to life later. Don't let the substrate dry out.
By optique
I leave my VFT's outside in treys i just add a little water if the treys go dry. but i use peat/perlite, its less soggy then LFSM that a lot of people use. zone 8a
By Bob
Ok thanks for the help. Where should I put my vft during the winter? Here it goes below and above freezing sometimes. I’m thinking about putting it in the basement because it gets to around 55 degrees during the day and never freezing.
By optique
just remember in its natural habitat in North Carolina it freezes all the time. its frost burn caused by sustained deep cold and wind that hurts the plant not the actual temperature.

dormancy in warmer darker places can lead to other issues rot, fungus, ect
By Panman
An unheated garage would be better. You don't need to worry about light, Some people put them through dormancy in the refrigerator. You just want to keep them from freezing and then thawing and from drying out. My winters are a little bit warmer, we occasionally get down to 20. Mine are in large tubs which helps to regulate the freezing and I just pile up leaves over the top of them. Freezing and wind are a dangerous combination. They will dry out any plant very quickly.

Hey all, just got my order in today and figured I'[…]

1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I[…]

The Sphagnum Yacht

We all love cotton...blue jeans, t-shirts, underwe[…]

I counted 21 in this one. Both are flavas that I g[…]

A few weeks back most of my VFTs suddenly put out […]

Counting to infinity.

SASE mailed thank you

Looking for a Cephalotus

A guy in a plant club I'm in said he had some Nepe[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!