FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

List the plants you grow

Moderator: Matt

By CarnivorousObsessed
These are my 3 venus fly traps! Can anyone help me identify what cultivar the third one is? It has shorter, more teeth like hairs.
Attachments:
20200819_093902.jpg
20200819_093902.jpg (1.75 MiB) Viewed 5073 times
My newest
My newest
20200819_093842.jpg (3.07 MiB) Viewed 5073 times
My very first carnivorous plant
My very first carnivorous plant
20200819_093806.jpg (3.07 MiB) Viewed 5073 times
My Akai Ryu
My Akai Ryu
20200819_093935.jpg (2.93 MiB) Viewed 5073 times
By Propag8
Its almost impossible to tell the cultivar as so many share similar traits. It may not be a cultivar at all as it could be seed grown and just have slightly unusual growth. Where did you purchase them? Did they not give you any info?. They are very nice looking plants.
xanthoparmelia liked this
By CarnivorousObsessed
Joshuamarshall792 wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:44 pm
CarnivorousObsessed wrote:These are my 3 venus fly traps! Can anyone help me identify what cultivar the third one is? It has shorter, more teeth like hairs.
It's either a red dragon (akai ryu) or a maroon monster!

dragons are red, scams are blue, but green is true!
Really now??! I'm excited!!!! I had no idea that little guy was gonna be red, I'm crossing my fingers for the Maroon Monster. Either way I can't wait to watch it get a really pretty red, that's even more exciting. Thank you for the help!
By CarnivorousObsessed
Joshuamarshall792 wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:48 pm This was mine! Isn't she beautiful??? She is dead now sadly from mites and my cat eating itImage

Ooh how gorgeous!! I'm sorry to hear she didn't make it
By CarnivorousObsessed
Propag8 wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:29 pm Its almost impossible to tell the cultivar as so many share similar traits. It may not be a cultivar at all as it could be seed grown and just have slightly unusual growth. Where did you purchase them? Did they not give you any info?. They are very nice looking plants.
That makes complete sense. The smallest one, with the pea shaped pods and shorter spikes was purchased at Harbor Greens, the bigger green one was also purchased there. There was absolutely no details, they had them both in the exact same plastic container, with no water or sunlight. The package just had a picture of a venus fly trap on it, along with a few care instructions on the back, that was it. The Red dragon I purchased from a Nursery. Other than that there was no information or anything on them, sadly!
By Propag8
I would assume the nursery was correct when labelling your red variety as an akai ryu but you never know it does look quite unique from others I've seen. Your other plants are most likely typical then. Either grown from seed or probably tissue cultured from typicals. All vft are typical unless specifically selected and named for cloning as a cultivated variety. Doesn't make them any less amazing just because someone hasn't named them and if they are seed grown and not tissue cultured or propagated from pullings you have a plant with it's own unique genetics that nobody else has. One of a kind. Also I think there is some confusion, the 4th pic is a red variety listed akai ryu the other two green plants are most likely typical and will not turn red.
By CarnivorousObsessed
Propag8 wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:22 pm I would assume the nursery was correct when labelling your red variety as an akai ryu but you never know it does look quite unique from others I've seen. Your other plants are most likely typical then. Either grown from seed or probably tissue cultured from typicals. All vft are typical unless specifically selected and named for cloning as a cultivated variety. Doesn't make them any less amazing just because someone hasn't named them and if they are seed grown and not tissue cultured or propagated from pullings you have a plant with it's own unique genetics that nobody else has. One of a kind. Also I think there is some confusion, the 4th pic is a red variety listed akai ryu the other two green plants are most likely typical and will not turn red.
Thank you!! And yes the Akai Ryu definitely looks unique. I'm noticing since I got that one, it's slowly starting to get more big traps as the newer ones so thats awesome. I'm extremely curious to see what the smaller green one will look like, because that's the one with pea pod shaped traps (It reminds me of pea pods haha) and it has the really short spikes which is definitely unique, compared to the first one. Some of the smaller traps seem to have slightly longer hairs (Though nowhere as long as my very first pne) but all of the bigger ones are really short and spikey! I'm mainly fascinated with the shape
By CarnivorousObsessed
CarnivorousObsessed wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:01 pm
Joshuamarshall792 wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:44 pm
CarnivorousObsessed wrote:These are my 3 venus fly traps! Can anyone help me identify what cultivar the third one is? It has shorter, more teeth like hairs.
It's either a red dragon (akai ryu) or a maroon monster!

Really now??! I'm excited!!!! I had no idea that little guy was gonna be red, I'm crossing my fingers for the Maroon Monster. Either way I can't wait to watch it get a really pretty red, that's even more exciting. Thank you for the help!
Oops I think you were talking about my red plant, correct? I just realized I may have misread that! The very first photo is a close up of the smaller green plant, and that's the one I was curious about!
By Propag8
Thats the beauty of flytraps even if you and I had the same cultivar it could look like two very different plants depending on our conditions and care routine. Have you checked out cpphotofinder online. You can check out pics of a huge amount of known cultivars including Matt's from the flytrapstore (fts) cultivars. You will see what I mean how one particular cultivar can vary so much. You may find some similar mutations between your plant and a known cultivar. There are lots of common mutations mainly with the lashes (I forget the proper name) e.g. dentate, shark, sawtooth etc. :D
By CarnivorousObsessed
Propag8 wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:08 pm Thats the beauty of flytraps even if you and I had the same cultivar it could look like two very different plants depending on our conditions and care routine. Have you checked out cpphotofinder online. You can check out pics of a huge amount of known cultivars including Matt's from the flytrapstore (fts) cultivars. You will see what I mean how one particular cultivar can vary so much. You may find some similar mutations between your plant and a known cultivar. There are lots of common mutations mainly with the lashes (I forget the proper name) e.g. dentate, shark, sawtooth etc. :D
I have not checked that out, I definitely shall be doing that now though, thank you so much!!! I'm super new to cultivars (I actually didn't know there was such thing as vft cultivars until I got my Red Dragon recently, and thats when I started doing more research into them) I've definitely noticed from the research I've done, that the same cultivars can look extremely different, so that totally makes a lot of sense. I also may have missed that, but I had no idea they were called lashes either!!! Let alone it's called mutations that can make different plants look similar. Thank you so much!!! Im super glad I found this site :D
By Propag8
No problem :D the lashes are actually called cilia if you want to sound technical lol. Glad your on-board just be warned this forum and vft can be addictive ;)
By Propag8
I suppose it is a waste of money to those who dont share the same interest just like buying an expensive set of golf clubs would be a waste of money to me as I have no interest in it. Each to there own I say.
By Panman
Ooh. An intelligent spambot. I'm particularly impressed by the way it incorporated the thread topic into it's spam. Mods, please nuke this guy so they don't get the link credit on their search engine optimization.
By Copper2
Joshuamarshall792 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:39 pm My dad LOVES to buy a beach house rental to stay there and fish and buy lotsa fishing supplies I think that is a waste and he only stays there for a week or two and I think he is pissing money down the toilet
Why don’t you just go enjoy fishing with him? Maybe if connect with him than you both might enjoy each other’s company more...
By Matt
Panman wrote:Ooh. An intelligent spambot.
Most of these are actual people from very poor countries, primarily India, Pakistan, Indonesia, and other impoverished Asian countries, who get paid to "link drop" to improve SEO rankings for their clients. It is a real pain these days as it used to be super easy to control bots but having an actual human on the other end getting through spam preventative measures makes it impossible to stop.
Panman liked this

You know, it kinda hits you different when you onl[…]

Piese originale Ford S-Max 2015-2020 alegerea pi[…]

https://www.pieseford.ro/piese-auto-ford-s-max-20[…]

Hello!

Welcome

Chilly in LA…

I've got a friend in Harvey, but that looks like […]

1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I[…]

The Sphagnum Yacht

We all love cotton...blue jeans, t-shirts, underwe[…]

I counted 21 in this one. Both are flavas that I g[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!