FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By ChefDean
Many people have sent a PM for my homemade pizza dough and sauce recipe, so here it is.

Dough. Actually a Cuban bread formula works great for pizza but can be used for loaves or rolls.
All measurements are by weight. (It's a Chef thing) I'll try to measure them out another way.
Water 15 oz. (1 and 7/8ths cup)
1 oz fresh yeast (3 Tbsp)
1 lb 8 oz all-purpose flour (about 4 3/4 cups)
.5 oz salt (2 tsp)
1 oz sugar ( 2 Tbsp)
Knead to form dough.
Add more flour if sticky, more water if dry.
Allow dough to rise 1 hour at room temperature.
Roll out a handful to 1/4 inch thick for a personal pizza. Top with sauce, cheese, and toppings. Bake at 400°F until golden brown.

Sauce:
6 oz tomato paste (1 -6 oz can)
15 oz tomato sauce (1 - 15 oz can) or 15 oz can of diced tomatoes if you want it chunky
1 Tbsp oregano, or to taste
2 Tbsp Italian seasoning
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp onion powder
½ TBS garlic salt
¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp sugar

Mix above ingredients and simmer for 5 minutes. Spread on pizza dough.

Add whatever toppings you want, go to town! Then follow directions to bake the dough.

Enjoy!
Nepenthes0260, Shadowtski, Berrybob and 4 others liked this
By schmeg
If the recipe is calling for the fresh yeast in a block, that may be hard for some people to find. Maybe edit with an option for granulated active dry yeast?
By ChefDean
schmeg wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:12 pm If the recipe is calling for the fresh yeast in a block, that may be hard for some people to find. Maybe edit with an option for granulated active dry yeast?
It calls for active dry yeast.
I would suggest blooming the yeast first, it just gets it going a bit quicker.
By Artchic528
Dang. These dough and sauce recipes must make some exceptionally delicious pizza. Too bad I'm too lazy to make pizza from scratch these days.
By Ben Goudge
Wow, I never would have thought to use Cuban bread as pizza crust. I'll have to make this sometime soon!
By ChefDean
Sometimes, if I'm lazy, I'll just spread about a tablespoon of olive oil on the dough instead of making the sauce, then scatter one minced, medium sized clove of garlic around. I'll then proceed with my cheese and toppings.
sanguinearocks101 liked this
By schmeg
Cheap fast trashy clam pie from my college days a million years ago:

Homemade crust. Brush with a little olive oil.

Spread on good-quality condensed white clam chowder soup: find one with lots of clams, real cream, and is thick.

[then] Sprinkle with BacOs stolen from the cafeteria salad bar.
[now] Sprinkle with crispy diced Nueske's smoked bacon.

Top with mozz or your favorite combo of cheeses also stolen from salad bar. Fresh black pepper.
ChefDean liked this
By ChefDean
schmeg wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:28 pm Cheap fast trashy clam pie from my college days a million years ago:

Homemade crust. Brush with a little olive oil.

Spread on good-quality condensed white clam chowder soup: find one with lots of clams, real cream, and is thick.

[then] Sprinkle with BacOs stolen from the cafeteria salad bar.
[now] Sprinkle with crispy diced Nueske's smoked bacon.

Top with mozz or your favorite combo of cheeses also stolen from salad bar. Fresh black pepper.
This sounds both disgusting and delicious all at once.
I make a killer clam sauce for pasta, it might be a good sub for the soup, but I never have leftovers of that.
By sanguinearocks101
I'm making a pizza now. I accidentaly put 2 Tbsp instead of 2 tsp of salt but I scraped most of the salt off so it'll probably be okay. I'll let you know how it tastes! Hopefully I can get some of my friends opinions on it too, last time I made them some food it was very funny and I'm not sure if they trust any food I cook anymore :D
ChefDean, Apollyon liked this
By chomato
sanguinearocks101 wrote:I'm making a pizza now. I accidentaly put 2 Tbsp instead of 2 tsp of salt but I scraped most of the salt off so it'll probably be okay. I'll let you know how it tastes! Hopefully I can get some of my friends opinions on it too, last time I made them some food it was very funny and I'm not sure if they trust any food I cook anymore :D
Would you like some pizza with your salt? Image

Let us know how it turns out!
By Ben Goudge
Made these for dinner tonight. THESE WERE THE BEST PIZZAS I HAVE HAD IN A VERY LONG TIME!!! Five stars from me and my family. They were so delicious that I polished off a whole pizza myself. The recipe made three pizzas. Thank you so much. PS: egg-wash the crust before baking. You won’t regret it.
By ChefDean
Maybe you weren't able to get as much salt out as you thought. You said you accidentally put 2 T of salt instead of 2 tsp, but the sauce only calls for 1/2 T garlic salt which is 1 1/2 tsp.
If you're talking about the dough, it does call for 2 tsp salt, which you could lessen if desired, but I'd still put at least 1 tsp in.
Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Hi Andy If you are talking about the brown marks […]

Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!