FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By That one plant boi
Hello!
Lately I've been searching around on the topic of S. Purpurea and its lighting requirements and have come across a few discussions stating that purpurea enjoys less light then the taller sarracenia. I have my purpur's growing in full sun with my other sarrs in central Florida and while my taller sarrs are doing fine, my purps look kind of ratty.

So I was wondering if I should move them to an area with a bit more shade in order to protect them from the heat?

Quick bonus question; what is the most heat tolerant sarracenia?

Thanks guys!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

By sanguinearocks101
It definitely makes sense for it to like less sun, I think you should experiment. Take 2 of the most similar plants, preferably genetically identical, and put one in lower lighting leave the other how it is. Make sure they get similar amounts of prey. Take before and after pictures and compare.
By Benny
In the wild, Purps are hiding behind the larger Sarracenia and grasses. If you position the pots where the S. Purpurea is in the shade of your other plants during the heat of the day, they should be fine. If not, just move it to a shadier spot.
TrooperKris2, MikeB liked this
By Panman
I also think there may be a difference between the subspecies purpurea and venosa. I believe purpurea is generally a more northern plant whereas venosa is further south.
sanguinearocks101 liked this
By sanguinearocks101
Panman wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:18 pm I also think there may be a difference between the subspecies purpurea and venosa. I believe purpurea is generally a more northern plant whereas venosa is further south.
Purpurea purpurea is much more cold tolerant than purpurea venosa. I live near one of the overlap zones between the 2 ssp so if I ever visit it I won’t even bother trying to identify what ssp they are.
By MikeB
That one plant boi wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:56 pmI have my purpur's growing in full sun with my other sarrs in central Florida and while my taller sarrs are doing fine, my purps look kind of ratty.

So I was wondering if I should move them to an area with a bit more shade in order to protect them from the heat?
S. purpurea are short plants, and they are often partially shaded by taller plants around them. Try giving them sun from dawn until 2 o'clock, then dappled sun or bright, indirect light for the rest of the afternoon. That should perk them up.
By steve booth
I am in the Uk so don't get the sun intensity as some, but mine flourish in full sun with good colour. I've not heard of reducing the light levels for this particular species.

Cheers
Steve
By TrooperKris2
Apparently Sarracenia Flava grow naturally in the southern states, closer to the equator. I’d bank on those being the most heat resistant, but I can’t really speak from experience.

I counted 21 in this one. Both are flavas that I g[…]

1 year old cape!

Holy crap, Batman! That's a big Cape! Is it a gian[…]

A few weeks back most of my VFTs suddenly put out […]

Counting to infinity.

SASE mailed thank you

Looking for a Cephalotus

A guy in a plant club I'm in said he had some Nepe[…]

AI Generated Nepenthes

Hey look, it's those oddly neon bonsai seeds for s[…]

Gemmae

I suspect maxsea residue as the culprit on mine.[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!