FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By MikeB
Here's a pic of my medium-sized Sarracenia purpurea subsp. venosa 'Tattnall County'.
S_p_v_TC.jpg
S_p_v_TC.jpg (811.28 KiB) Viewed 4310 times
I really like the vivid markings of the Tattnall County plants. They originate from the southern tip of Sarracenia purpurea's range, just west of Savannah, Georgia. There's an empty gap across south-central Georgia, then Sarracenia rosea takes over in southwestern Georgia and the Florida panhandle.
By MikeB
That one plant boi wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:53 amMy dude, how do you grow such nice looking plants? Most of my sarracenia and flytraps look kind of ratty :(
Two things:

1) My plants sit outside almost all year round. I live in the southeastern U.S., so the climate here is close normal for most of the North American species. Right now, my plants are soaking up the sun, heat, and humidity.

2) For my Sarracenia, I use draining pots with decent saucers (1-2 inches / 2.5-5 centimeters deep). This lets them be reasonably damp without making them soak in water all the time. I top-water them until the saucer fills up, then let them sit like that for 2 or 3 days until the water is gone.
By MikeB
Matt wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:44 pmGreat looking S. purpurea!!
Matt, if you want to add one to your burgeoning Sarracenia collection, contact Brad Williams at Fort Bragg Carnivores (just down the coast in northern California). He as a big collection of very nice plants!
Matt liked this
By Matt
MikeB wrote:Matt, if you want to add one to your burgeoning Sarracenia collection, contact Brad Williams at Fort Bragg Carnivores (just down the coast in northern California). He as a big collection of very nice plants!
Got it, thanks!
By MikeB
madrone wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:09 amThat is a lovely S. purpurea - looks like you grow it in LFS, or is that a top dressing?
Just top dressing to prevent the rain from washing out the perlite. The soil mix that I use is 3 parts peat moss, 1 part perlite, and 1 part coarse sand.
By MikeB
Since my plants sit outside, exposed to the elements, I put a sphagnum moss top layer on all of the pots. They've weathered hurricane rainstorms without any soil washing out of the pots.

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Fishing

Hi Chef, I'm interested in whatever you have that […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!