FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By trooperkris
Hello flytrapcare family. As you know, I’m not new here, but I have been away since 2017 because technically I gave up. Life hit me real hard, but I have been slowly bouncing back ever since.

2017 turned out to be a year of loss for me. 2017 was the year I battled with sarracenia rhizome rot all summer, and it really discouraged me after losing multiple plants. Then I lost my parent, and everything in my life stopped. I did the worst thing I could do, and I completely shut down. The remainder of my plants were unfortunate victims of my giving up, and I lost nearly everything (other than my cold hardy purps, and a small clump of drosera).
Now that I look back, I feel awful about giving up on my plants. It was like losing a bunch of my children, on top of losing my parent.

Anyways, fast forward to 2020. I’m still here, and now that everything has had time to settle down and get back to normal, I’m trying to get back into the wonderful hobby of collecting Sarracenia.

I know this is the worst time of the year to try and buy CP’s, because all of the websites I’ve visited are sold out. If anybody has any suggestions where I can find some sarrs, I would very much appreciate it.

Again, I apologize for being away for so long, and I’m hoping to getting my collection back up and running ASAP.

Sorry for such a depressing post, but thank you for taking the time to read it. Have a good night/day.

Kris
schmeg liked this
By Greenthumbs Garden
@trooperkris, sorry to hear about your parent's kris, I can not even begin to imagine how tough that must have been and still is. Welcome back to the forum bro.
By Matt
Great to see you getting back into the hobby, Kris. Loss of a loved one is probably the most challenging thing we have to deal with in life. I am glad to hear that you got through that very difficult time. It sounds like you've made a good emotional recovery and are in a much better place now.

I had a great Sarracenia sale this spring, but now that all of the plants have big pitchers, I've stopped selling them until next spring. Sorry I can't offer you something right now. Good luck in your continued search for Sarracenia!
By Apollyon
sanguinearocks101 wrote:Sorry to hear about your parents, try looking on ebay and a carnivorous plant store carnivorous plants. Sarracenia Northwest might have a few too.
I second this, I recently acquired a Sarracenia off of Ebay and had good results. They're probably not as mature (My plant arrived with a couple of pitchers about 8-9inches tall but it was healthy and in good shape on arrival. It's so feedback driven that the sellers tend to not try to mess with sending bad plants at all. Something to consider. I've gotten many plants from Ebay and honestly haven't had a bad experience that wasn't corrected by the seller.
By Huntsmanshorn
trooperkris wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:20 am I know this is the worst time of the year to try and buy CP’s, because all of the websites I’ve visited are sold out. If anybody has any suggestions where I can find some sarrs, I would very much appreciate it.
Try Mike Wang, a bit pricey but good selection and very nice plants.

https://sarracenia.proboards.com/thread ... ory-photos
By MikeB
@trooperkris: I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your parent. That sort of thing cuts you to the soul.

If you're located in the U.S., then I have some Sarracenia flava's that I can sell you. They're 2 years old, 4-6 tall, and look nice. Their parents are a var. rubricopora and a var. ornata plants that I got from Mike Wang. They should have been self-pollinated, but mother nature may have snuck in when I wasn't looking (I only had flava's in bloom at that time).

I also have some Sarracenia rosea seedlings, but they're just a few months old, less than an inch tall.

Last but not least, I have some Drosera filiformis seedlings, 2-6 inches tall, if you're interested in some bigger, cold-hardy sundews.

Let me know.
By TrooperKris2
Thank you everyone for your kind words, and suggestions. They really mean a lot to me :)

Apparently my main account that I was using got locked out, so now I’m using this one.

I'm planning on converting my current 2'x4' into […]

Not what you would expect...

There are no mounds of moss in the picture. There[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

I use a Govee and I love it. It connects via app o[…]

I put this venus flytrap in a different type of so[…]

Advice On Using Pool

Agreed. Simply setting all your plants in them as-[…]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Cool. Thank you.

The only suggestion I have is to watch the new gro[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!