FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By schmeg
I ordered some $2 ENUDDEN polypropylene tumblers from Ikea for my young flytraps.

These are 4 inches tall and 3-1/8 wide — a good size for young'uns but too small for mature plants.

I wanted something that looked classier and more intentional than yogurt containers, etc. I'll need to drill drain holes, of course. I'll update this post after they arrive (Ikea shipping is taking a few weeks) and I repot my juniors.
enudden-mug-white.png
enudden-mug-white.png (44.18 KiB) Viewed 6664 times
By schmeg
ikea-enudden.jpg
ikea-enudden.jpg (1.73 MiB) Viewed 6220 times
These cups finally arrived, and I'm very pleased with them.

They have a matte finish on the outside, smooth and shiny on the inside. Fairly thick walls, but easy to drill for drainage holes. The plastic isn't brittle: no cracking or problems when drilling.

These plants are the "25 for $25" ordered from the FlytrapStore earlier this spring. They were in a temporary pot set-up for longer than I had planned. Happy to have them now in their new pots where they can relax and grow for a year or two. 31 plants went into my 30 cups, and the 12 tiniest plants are together in a different container.

A bit of long-fiber sphagnum goes on the bottom to block the drain holes, then FTS peat/silica mix up to about 2/3, and the top third is more sphagnum. The sphagnum doesn't get easily washed out of the pot during our summer rain storms, compared to the loose peat mix.
MikeB, Matt liked this
By schmeg
Completing my Logan's Run flytrap nursery:

A cheapo "12-drawer craft cart" discovered at deep clearance. The two top trays just barely hold 15 pots apiece.

This rig lets me easily move the cart when a thunderstorm approacheth, or when water-balloon fights approacheth, or to diligently catch both the earliest morning light + latest afternoon light (different sides of my deck).

These plants were recently repotted so I am still watering from above to rinse the potting media. Eventually, I can just water from below by pouring into the drawer (at least up to the hole drilled for the drawer handle).

Lower level is good for my tub of toddler-size flytraps. I can pull out the drawer for light, or push in during a light shower where it will get protection from above.

(This cart is so cheaply made, the welding spot on one of the lower drawer tracks has already separated. Proceed with caution if you want to use a similar rolling cart for your jumbo mother pots.)
rollingrack1.jpg
rollingrack1.jpg (2.65 MiB) Viewed 5978 times
rollingrack2.jpg
rollingrack2.jpg (2.84 MiB) Viewed 5978 times
By schmeg
Another option for anyone looking for a "nicer" flytrap pot:

50¢ 26-ounce cream-colored tumblers from Walmart

3.50-Inch Diameter by 6.75-Inch Height — tall and skinny. Lots of root space for VFTs that don't divide and spread too quickly.

There are a few other light colors that would also work (reflect heat away from pot): pink, light blue, light teal, and gray.

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Not what you would expect...

The old trailer is kinda spooky as it is, withou[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!