FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Got a carnivorous plant and you don't know what it is? Ask here!

Moderator: Matt

By LittleGrower
Hi guys, please help me identify my cephalotus ID and thanks. Here's a pic:
IMG20200525175806.jpg
IMG20200525175806.jpg (2.37 MiB) Viewed 9441 times
Let me know if it's too blur.
By Shadowtski
Cephalotus Cultivars can only be propagated by cloning.
If your plant did not come with a positive identification, it can only be labeled as a "Typical".
You can contact the seller and ask him.
But the odds are, if this was a Cultivar, it would have been labeled and priced accordingly.
If it grows up to have some outstanding feature, you register it as a new Cultivar.

Good growing,
Mike
Coco, LittleGrower liked this
By hungry carnivores
Shadowtski wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:37 pm
But the odds are, if this was a Cultivar, it would have been labeled and priced accordingly.
This tends to be the case, as cultivars are sometimes more 'sought after' than the de-facto species.
It also looks like a typical. I'd also start off with a typical so you don't kill nice cultivars (because, when propagated, they can be traded for cool species, like Helis). Best not to waste money or plants on plants you're not sure of.

Cephalotus is a fairly fun plant, regardless. I've got tiny, slow growing cultivars, and I love my typicals and clone #13 so much more than my German Giant. They're just more showy with all their mature traps.

Have fun in your Ceph Adventures!
LittleGrower liked this
By LittleGrower
Berrybob wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:35 pm Where did you get the plant from?
I get the plant from a garden but the guy don't remember the plant's ID
By LittleGrower
Shadowtski wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:37 pm Cephalotus Cultivars can only be propagated by cloning.
If your plant did not come with a positive identification, it can only be labeled as a "Typical".
You can contact the seller and ask him.
If it grows up to have some outstanding feature, you register it as a new Cultivar.

Good growing,
Mike
Well, I have asked the seller but he don't remember the plant's ID and he said the plant was propagated by tisse culture, do this mean there's a chance this little guy is a new Cultivar? Thank you for the information you gave me and happy growing.
By LittleGrower
hungry carnivores wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:37 pm
Shadowtski wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:37 pm
This tends to be the case, as cultivars are sometimes more 'sought after' than the de-facto species.
It also looks like a typical. I'd also start off with a typical so you don't kill nice cultivars (because, when propagated, they can be traded for cool species, like Helis). Best not to waste money or plants on plants you're not sure of.

Cephalotus is a fairly fun plant, regardless. I've got tiny, slow growing cultivars, and I love my typicals and clone #13 so much more than my German Giant. They're just more showy with all their mature traps.

Have fun in your Ceph Adventures!
I really like this plant so it doesn't matter if this wasn't a Cultivar, I just want to know the little guy's ID, I guess I have to wait until the little guy grown up to see any special features or not. I'm doing some leaf cuttings and hope it will work to incase I kill my plant, the little guy is starting to have coloration under full sun :D :D
Happy growing man.
Drosera germination time

What Chef Dean said... But if I had to pick a num[…]

Counting to infinity.

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!