FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Apollyon
So I recently got into CPs and the pitcher plants are the last genus to really check off my list. I was looking at how different Nepenthes are from each other, it's wild.

I came across Nepenthes Veitchii, which itself is a really nice looking plant. The thing most interesting though is its vining habit where people take pictures of this plant wrapping around trees and climbing towards the canopy.

I'm looking at this and getting inspired. I have tons of trees (I like to practice bonsai) and actually have a couple I mean to plant in my yard which grow to approx. 50 feet.

Has anyone ever tried to have a Nepenthes climb a tree like they sometimes will in nature? I think it'd be fascinating, but I'm wondering how you would even go about doing something like that. Create a drainage space with no nutrients to rest the plant in as it establishes itself? Or maybe something like a large peat pot with the bottom cut out? I live in Florida so I believe the climate may be do-able as far as year round heat and humidity. Just a crazy thought :P
By Benny
Some people in warmer climates can put intermediate hybrids outside next to trees. They come around them and the tree provides some protection. Never heard of in the same pot, so can't help you with that.

If you do end up trying it, let us know how it goes!
Apollyon liked this
By sanguinearocks101
This is my favorite resource to estimate what temperatures neps will like.https://www.carnivorousplants.co.uk/res ... ive-guide/ I wouldn't go more than 8 degrees out of the temperature range. I would think you might be able to just set the pot next to the tree and rotate the pot until the growth point is close to the tree. I would recommend not getting the Bario form of veitchii if you want it to climb up the tree, I have heard it is more terrestrial.
Apollyon liked this
By Apollyon
That stuff is fascinating right? I think I will try to go for it in the coming months with a tree that can tolerate shade (will probably have to use a shade cloth until the canopy begins to develop some) or sit on the idea for a bit. moving the pot around for a while to help it circle is a good idea.) It'd take some planning for sure, especially having a compaitble soil for nepenthes. It couldn't be pure LFS and I'd have to make it a space large enough to keep its roots safe for a long time. I'm thinking that if its true Neps can handle root fertilization, it can probably tolerate seepage from surrounding soil if the root system is established well enough. Fertilize the tree with Maxsea or something. I really want to see if this can be done now lol.

On a side note, congrats on that bainskloof I forgot all about it lol. I meant to do the same thing you did :lol: I have some seeds planted but I'm not sure what to expect yet. They're drosera seeds but I got them from an etsy vendor so we'll see
sanguinearocks101 liked this

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!