FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Adrien
Hey everyone do y’all know if an insect fogger will kill my VFT? It’s a hotshot fogger with Oder neutralizer. Thanks :)
By Adrien
Matt wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 3:35 pm While I have no first-hand experience with such a thing, I'd venture a guess that Venus flytraps would be entirely unaffected by an insect fogger.
Thanks Matt, greenhouse is infested with insects :/
By sanguinearocks101
Adrien wrote:
Matt wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 3:35 pm While I have no first-hand experience with such a thing, I'd venture a guess that Venus flytraps would be entirely unaffected by an insect fogger.
Lots of insects? I would use that as an excuse to get more plants :D If you do get plants to deal with insects I'd recommend Drosera filiformis or another temperate Drosera and maybe a ping.
By Adrien
sanguinearocks101 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 4:54 pm
Adrien wrote:
Lots of insects? I would use that as an excuse to get more plants :D If you do get plants to deal with insects I'd recommend Drosera filiformis or another temperate Drosera and maybe a ping.
Lol right! I want to make a huge order for plants but unfortunately FTS doesn’t have much instock, I had a problem earlier where my flytraps would not stop eating and I want open red traps!
By Panman
I would be concerned with using a fogger. It would deposit a layer of chemicals in the plants but I don't know if they will mind it or not. What kind of bugs are you fighting. Maybe there a less intense treatment that you can try.
By Adrien
Panman wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 6:46 pm I would be concerned with using a fogger. It would deposit a layer of chemicals in the plants but I don't know if they will mind it or not. What kind of bugs are you fighting. Maybe there a less intense treatment that you can try.
Mostly Beatles,ants, wasps, and mosquitoes
By Adrien
I heard foggers will be safe on houseplants, though.
By ChefDean
Adrien wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 6:49 pmMostly Beatles,ants, wasps, and mosquitoes
None of those really pose a problem to cp's, I wouldn't do a general fogger for those.
Adrien wrote:I heard foggers will be safe on houseplants, though.
Carnivorous plants aren't your run of the mill houseplants.

If you're concerned about them, then do a spot treatment around your cp's. A granular treatment on the ground for the ants. Which may make a dent in the beetle issue as well. Parasitic nematodes can also be put down annually. They target and kill a broad range of bugs, both larval and adult, depending what type you use. I use them, and they do have an impact. My lawn and garden are phenomenal,while my neighbors are meh.
Search and destroy any wasp nests. Or, a-holes with wings as I call them.
And mosquitoes, you're kinda stuck with them. However, you can try to alleviate them by making sure you have no standing water on your property. In the case of a pond, use mosquito dunks to try to control them.
By Adrien
It’s not that they pose a threat to them, they don’t. I just don’t want insects in general in large quantities in the greenhouse, also I have tons of spiders up in the ceiling and doors, walking in I just go right through webs 🙃 also the problem I have with ants is that they live and thrive in the media, I had to isolate a plant and change the media
By ChefDean
Adrien wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 1:02 am It’s not that they pose a threat to them, they don’t. I just don’t want insects in general in large quantities in the greenhouse, also I have tons of spiders up in the ceiling and doors, walking in I just go right through webs 🙃 also the problem I have with ants is that they live and thrive in the media, I had to isolate a plant and change the media
It sounds like your only concern is with ants. Check your local garden store for a granular treatment that you can apply around the exterior of the greenhouse. The ants aren't living in the CP media, but in the ground around your greenhouse under your greenhouse, and traveling into the media. A treatment or two will solve that problem.
Install a magnetic screen at the entries of the greenhouse to help keep out bugs, but still allow airflow.
I stick with the search and destroy suggestion for the A-Holes with wings.
Spiders, let them be. They'll likely catch the mosquitoes, then die out as their food supply is exhausted due to the ant treatment and screen keeping mosquitoes and other bugs out.
By Adrien
Gotcha, the greenhouse is pretty much complete but we are installing seals around all the contact points where the panels meet the frame.
By Adrien
So I can confirm that an insect fogger does NOT harm them or affect the plants in anyway
By ChefDean
Adrien wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 7:12 am So I can confirm that an insect fogger does NOT harm them or affect the plants in anyway
No, you can't confirm that. Nobody has given an example of their experience with one used in close proximity to carnivorous plants.
One member, albeit the one with the most experience with VFT's, has proffered an opinion that he believes it will have no affect on the plants, but he also said he has no firsthand experience with using one.
Another member stated a fact that the fogger will leave a layer of chemicals on the plants. How these chemicals may affect the plant is unknown.
You heard that foggers won't affect houseplants. But houseplants get tap water, fertilizer, and garden soil. All of which will kill almost all cp's. Carnivorous plants aren't like other houseplants.
You're stepping into unexplored territory. You may find that your plants are completely fine, and the bugs are gone. You may find that it has killed the bugs, but your plants all died due to being introduced to chemicals they've never encountered before. Or the result could be anything in between.
Bottom line is they're your plants, so it's your call. If you fog it, let us know how it turns out so that others can learn from it.
By Adrien
ChefDean wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 11:44 am
Adrien wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 7:12 am So I can confirm that an insect fogger does NOT harm them or affect the plants in anyway
No, you can't confirm that. Nobody has given an example of their experience with one used in close proximity to carnivorous plants.
One member, albeit the one with the most experience with VFT's, has proffered an opinion that he believes it will have no affect on the plants, but he also said he has no firsthand experience with using one.
Another member stated a fact that the fogger will leave a layer of chemicals on the plants. How these chemicals may affect the plant is unknown.
You heard that foggers won't affect houseplants. But houseplants get tap water, fertilizer, and garden soil. All of which will kill almost all cp's. Carnivorous plants aren't like other houseplants.
You're stepping into unexplored territory. You may find that your plants are completely fine, and the bugs are gone. You may find that it has killed the bugs, but your plants all died due to being introduced to chemicals they've never encountered before. Or the result could be anything in between.
Bottom line is they're your plants, so it's your call. If you fog it, let us know how it turns out so that others can learn from it.
I fogged the greenhouse 3 times over 3 days, my VFT are all fine, I will admit though I will be leaving them outside when it rains to wash away any chemicals if there is any.
ChefDean liked this
Drosera germination time

What Chef Dean said... But if I had to pick a num[…]

Counting to infinity.

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!