FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By chomato
Hey all, this is one of the new traps my VFT 'Pink' is making after waking up from dormancy a few weeks ago. I really like the way it looks right now and would like to find a plant that grows with similar features as this trap currently looks like. If there's anything similar, let me know!

I don't plan on buying one right now, but it'll be in my to buy list
20200402_162632.jpg
20200402_162632.jpg (107.28 KiB) Viewed 4551 times
20200402_162607.jpg
20200402_162607.jpg (114.92 KiB) Viewed 4551 times
By Joeynator3000
...When is the best time to cut them anyways? I THINK mine is growing one, hard to tell at the moment. I figured it should be early on, but the stalk on mine is quite small. Don't wanna end up messing something up...
By Joeynator3000
Does it really matter where I cut? Or should I get as low as possible?
By Benny
Yup. Get as low as possible without harming the plant. I think it may increase the chance of it striking later on. And flowerstalks start out really really tiny(like you can barely see them), and slowly get fatter and taller.
By chomato
Matt wrote:Yours looks great! Purple Haze grows in a similar manner and gets larger and is hardier than Pink Venus, at least for us in our southern Oregon climate.
Purple haze is kinda close! I really like the skinnier petiole, but it doesn't seem to resemble the coloration combination of the current trap my 'Pink' is growing. I know it'll probably lose it in the coming weeks, as the plant is outside in full sun, but that's why I was looking for one that keeps the combination even in full sun.

Here's a slightly edited pic so you can see the combination a bit better
IMG_20200402_164217_369.jpg
IMG_20200402_164217_369.jpg (92.9 KiB) Viewed 4483 times
By tommyr
If the plant is healthy you can let if flower if you want.
By Matt
chomato wrote:Purple haze is kinda close! I really like the skinnier petiole, but it doesn't seem to resemble the coloration combination of the current trap my 'Pink' is growing.
Oh, you already grow Purple Haze? Or your basing that opinion on a photo you see somewhere? Be aware that photos are taken at a moment in time and coloration of flytraps varies a lot depending on the time of year and the growing conditions.

For us in Oregon, Pink Venus and Purple Haze look quite similar in appearance throughout the year.

It isn't clear to me from your initial or subsequent posts what "features" you are keying in on that you'd like to see in another flytrap. I assumed it was the low growth habit and coloration of the plant.

FTS Maroon Monster probably colors up more similarly than Purple Haze does, but both look quite similar to Pink Venus in coloration. FTS Maroon Monster grows upright most of the growing season though, whereas Pink Venus and Purple Haze are low growers.
By chomato

Matt wrote:
chomato wrote:Purple haze is kinda close! I really like the skinnier petiole, but it doesn't seem to resemble the coloration combination of the current trap my 'Pink' is growing.
Oh, you already grow Purple Haze? Or your basing that opinion on a photo you see somewhere? Be aware that photos are taken at a moment in time and coloration of flytraps varies a lot depending on the time of year and the growing conditions.

For us in Oregon, Pink Venus and Purple Haze look quite similar in appearance throughout the year.

It isn't clear to me from your initial or subsequent posts what "features" you are keying in on that you'd like to see in another flytrap. I assumed it was the low growth habit and coloration of the plant.

FTS Maroon Monster probably colors up more similarly than Purple Haze does, but both look quite similar to Pink Venus in coloration. FTS Maroon Monster grows upright most of the growing season though, whereas Pink Venus and Purple Haze are low growers.
Sorry Matt, I should have been more specific as to the features that I liked in the trap. I dont know the correct terms for the entire VFT leaves, so bear with me.

I dont actually grow Purple Haze and I was just basing it off of the pics the FTS has, along with CP finder.

I liked the thin petiole of Purple Haze, but I was interested more in the combination of colors my trap currently has: red teeth, with green lips. The inner and outer part of the trap are both blood red, while the petiole has that red/green gradient like a heli.

Like I said before, this combination of colors is more than likely going to change, as a healthy 'Pink' is almost monochromatic all around, but I dont think I've seen a healthy flytrap having various color combinations.
By Matt
chomato wrote:I liked the thin petiole of Purple Haze, but I was interested more in the combination of colors my trap currently has: red teeth, with green lips. The inner and outer part of the trap are both blood red, while the petiole has that red/green gradient like a heli.
Ah, OK!! That's much clearer. I think the most beautiful contrast between red and green on the edge of a trap I've ever seen was on a FTS Maroon Monster:
By sanguinearocks101
Matt wrote:
chomato wrote:I liked the thin petiole of Purple Haze, but I was interested more in the combination of colors my trap currently has: red teeth, with green lips. The inner and outer part of the trap are both blood red, while the petiole has that red/green gradient like a heli.
Ah, OK!! That's much clearer. I think the most beautiful contrast between red and green on the edge of a trap I've ever seen was on a FTS Maroon Monster:
Is FTS Maroon Monster the same thing as Maroon Monster?
By chomato

Matt wrote:
Yes, this is just what I was looking for! Now I gotta get a new job so I can start buying plants again Image with FTS Maroon Monster being the first

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

Yellowish leaves on N. ventrata

So, what's your watering frequency? :)

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Drosera germination time

I planted seven different types of seeds on 03/09/[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Counting to infinity.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!