FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Nutmeg613
Hi! I impulsively purchased a VFT today because I saw her and fell in love. I repotted her in a 4” plastic pot with only peat moss. I have watered her with “purified” water from a water bottle. She is currently sitting under a grow light on a 12 hour timer.

My questions are:
1. Is just peat moss okay? Do I need the perlite or sand?’ When she grows a little bit I’m gonna move her to a 6” or 8” pot, can the 50/50 mix wait til then?
2. Is “purified” bottle water okay? I don’t know where to find distilled but once she moves outside, it rains at least once a week here so she’ll be okay.
3. I read that they need gentle light to start which is why she’s inside under a grow light. I live in FL so it’s sunny all the time. Is that the correct thing to do? Is 12 hours too long on the grow light (it also grows my lavender and dandelions which is why it’s on 12 hours).
4. How long should I keep her inside?
5. I read somewhere that the best way to water was to set in a small dish, and add water to that dish. Do I do that from the beginning or do I water from the top?

Thank you for your help!!!
By Fly Trap Hunter
You are doing a fine job with the fly trap. I understand the falling in love with them part.
The purified water should say reverse osmosis. but rain water is better. A light for now is ok but you can just put it outside and let it have a little morning sunlight and shade in the afternoon. Most likely you can just put it right outside now and leave it(as long as its not going to freeze)
Just peat is fine for a while. Some people just use peat but I at least prefer some sand with it. I think in general, if you can pot in long fiber sphagnum moss, its a little easier to work with. Its $5 at lowes or home depot. and Matt and Leah have some for sale also
By sanguinearocks101
12 hours is an okay amount for a Venus Flytrap but I would recommend more. I would slowly adjust it to outside light, first with a shade cloth for a few hours, gradually increase it, then take the shade cloth away finally. You can water it either way.
By Matt
I totally get falling in love with a Venus flytrap upon first sight! I still vividly recall walking through the gardening section of a large department store in 2007 and finding the first flytrap that I grew as an adult. I was immediately enamored!
Nutmeg613 wrote:1. Is just peat moss okay? Do I need the perlite or sand?’ When she grows a little bit I’m gonna move her to a 6” or 8” pot, can the 50/50 mix wait til then?
Adding something to the soil to help break it up and aerate the soil isn't a requirement but flytraps will do better with perlite and/or sand in the mix. It allows the roots to grow better and helps prevent the soil from compacting to the point where it can become an unhealthy growing environment.

Nutmeg613 wrote:2. Is “purified” bottle water okay? I don’t know where to find distilled but once she moves outside, it rains at least once a week here so she’ll be okay.
Distilled water should be available for purchase at any grocery store or large department store in the bottled water section. Many grocery stores also have a reverse osmosis unit where you can refill empty bottles for less than $1 a gallon. If you can harvest rainwater, that works just fine too.

Nutmeg613 wrote:3. I read that they need gentle light to start which is why she’s inside under a grow light. I live in FL so it’s sunny all the time. Is that the correct thing to do?
Go ahead and put her outside. Outdoor growing is always best! This time of year the sun isn't terribly intense, so she should be fine. If you're really worried about her burning, just give her gentle morning sunlight for a couple of hours and shade the rest of the day.
Nutmeg613 wrote:4. How long should I keep her inside?
I'd recommend moving her outside ASAP!

Nutmeg613 wrote:5. I read somewhere that the best way to water was to set in a small dish, and add water to that dish. Do I do that from the beginning or do I water from the top?
It might be advisable to water from the top for the first few waterings to flush any minerals that may be built up in the soil out the bottom of the pot. But any way you choose to water should be fine. Just be sure that the soil gets thoroughly and evenly soaked through. Then allow it to dry to the point where it is just damp and then thoroughly water again. Be sure to check her soil moisture level often because it should NEVER be allowed to dry out.

Happy growing!!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!