FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By EliWhitney3140
I know that new CP hobbyists tend to get more worried than you redtails who have been doing this for years, but I have a couple concerns. I have been wanting a N. Jamban species for quite a while and finally found one at a price I was willing to dish out. It was from a seller on ebay who got them from Borneo exotics and it arrived about 4 days ago. The Jamban is young but the plant came in excellent condition. It came bare-root and wrapped in a little sphagnum with perlite. I potted it in a mix of sphagnum, perlite, activated charcoal, fine orchard bark, with a light top dressing of oyster shell. It is in a pond pot for plenty of air for the roots. I have it under 5 T-5 grow lights during the day and put it outside at night for a nice drop in temperature. I live in the Pacific Northwest so it is a good drop for highland species. My concerns are that the plant started to die back a little bit. both of the small pitchers were going so I snipped them and a couple leaves to give it an extra boost. I guess my question is, is this Jamban just acclimating from a long trip from Texas or is getting too much shock at once?
By Jeeper
I'd bag it, keep humidity high and slowly acclimate. And yes all these CP seem to have a little shock when shipped. Keep an eye on it.

I had a burkei X hamata I recently got dessicate a pitcher when I forgot to put the bag back on after a couple hours of 'fresh air'. This was a week after I got it. Small plants don't like drastic changes.
By EliWhitney3140
how long would you keep it bagged a day? I assume you mean acclimate it to less humidity? I guess that was my biggest concern was the newest leaf/ the vine to the pitcher died back. The other couple leaves still look good. I will keep an eye on it for sure.
By EliWhitney3140
I believe it is a cutting, but I am not sure. I am contacting the seller and asking a few questions. I am a little at a loss, it seemed healthy upon arrival and I didn't do anything to intense to this plant. I guess I am going to have to cross my fingers.
By Jeeper
Zooming in on photos, I think you just crispied one leaf... Bag it and see what it does, don't give up till the whole thing is a dried up husk.
By EliWhitney3140
Oh I am not giving up at all, it is bagged. I am going to add a trey of water too and raise it up so the roots are getting plenty of air. Thank you all for the help. Updates to come
Drosera germination time

I know I got the "Redrum" seeds from th[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Counting to infinity.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!