FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss non-carnivorous plants here

Moderator: Matt

By _-SphagnumFromHell-_
Hello. I acquired a nepenthes a little while back and when potting it up I found a couple strands of live sphagnum in it! This was amazing for me, since I was trying to get my hands on some lately. So I took out a small container, put some dead sphagnum moss in the corner, and placed the live moss in and gave it a misting. I wasn't too sure if I should grow the moss I have in water or on media, so I put half of it in the dead moss and the other half by itself and gave it extra misting. Here's my setup. It seems to be growing well so I'm planning on keeping a log of it to track it's progress. I heard it grows fast so hopefully it will be cool to see it grow. Updates coming soon.

Picture taken on 6/21/18
IMG_0939[1].JPG
IMG_0939[1].JPG (2.32 MiB) Viewed 4730 times
By xr280xr
Cool! I'm no expert, but I always lay mine on a bed of something, either dead sphagnum or a thin layer of peat. Live sphagnum will also frequently pop up from dead sphagnum if you keep it wet and humid long enough.
By _-SphagnumFromHell-_
UPDATE #1

So far it's been 2 weeks and the moss is showing visible growth. I can see new shoots coming from the existing moss. However It looks a little spindly. I've watched a few videos about Sphagnum and have heard that it won't grow as dense when it gets lower levels of light. So I'm thinking of getting a good LED grow light for it eventually.

picture taken on 7/5/18
IMG_1132[1].JPG
IMG_1132[1].JPG (1.79 MiB) Viewed 4633 times
By riveraXVX
I kept a small culture of live sphag from a plant order in a small tupperwear container. regular dead LFSM in the bottom, then cut the heads off and placed them in a clump, randomly clipping and moving to fill up the container as it grew. kept it covered with random spritz of water/opening it daily for some air. and under a 100W equiv LED bulb/reflector along with our other seedlings/cephalotus

the container sets to the back of the main light area and just gets the tail end of the growing areas light from 2 bulbs and it is the most lush red moss and needs a much larger container now. 100W equiv daylight bulb LED had really good sucesss for growing moss for us though thusfar! we have a 20G tank we will be using just for moss but unfortunately haven't got setup
riveraXVX liked this
By roarke
riveraXVX wrote:I kept a small culture of live sphag from a plant order in a small tupperwear container. regular dead LFSM in the bottom, then cut the heads off and placed them in a clump, randomly clipping and moving to fill up the container as it grew. kept it covered with random spritz of water/opening it daily for some air. and under a 100W equiv LED bulb/reflector along with our other seedlings/cephalotus

the container sets to the back of the main light area and just gets the tail end of the growing areas light from 2 bulbs and it is the most lush red moss and needs a much larger container now. 100W equiv daylight bulb LED had really good sucesss for growing moss for us though thusfar! we have a 20G tank we will be using just for moss but unfortunately haven't got setup
Clipping with the root system ?
By riveraXVX
well there is no real root system persay, it just grows...upwards I clip heads from random spots that are more lush, and then place them in other spots that aren't as dense - although generally it will spread and creep around on its own. we got our first 20 gallon tank setup and just criss crossed the strands we have and made grid patterns per some recommendations we received here. got new live heads popping up will eventually be a dense carpet
riveraXVX liked this
By roarke
riveraXVX wrote:well there is no real root system persay, it just grows...upwards I clip heads from random spots that are more lush, and then place them in other spots that aren't as dense - although generally it will spread and creep around on its own. we got our first 20 gallon tank setup and just criss crossed the strands we have and made grid patterns per some recommendations we received here. got new live heads popping up will eventually be a dense carpet
Do you always put a lid on top of the sphagnum moss setup ? With 1 hour without the lid per day, maybe ?
By _-SphagnumFromHell-_
Hey everyone. I know this thread is a little old but I want to update for those interested and to answer a few questions. To be honest I kind of forget about it for a while. I just pour in some water and leave it. It seems to be doing okay.

But I'm concerned about how the majority of the strand is dead, with only the ends green and growing. Is this normal? Thanks.

Picture taken on 3/9/19
IMG_1334.JPG
IMG_1334.JPG (1.81 MiB) Viewed 4154 times
I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

I believe you're right, there appears to be some s[…]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Advice On Using Pool

I'd just use the pools as giant saucers.

What on earth is this?

Looks a lot like springtails to me. Other possibil[…]

What’s happening

Ok so I went looking again today and noticed a sid[…]

All three of those are available in the seed bank[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!