FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By Matt
In the past, this flytrap was the subject of much scrutiny here on the FlytrapCare forums and elsewhere on the web. Some people believe that the variegation is caused by a virus. I investigated the possible causes of the variegation at length several years ago, but ultimately got no definitive answer as to what is causing the variegation in this case. I just want people to be aware that it could possibly be a virus causing the variegation. Though after growing the plant for several years and observing its growth habit, variegation patterns, etc., I don't believe it to be a virus. I've also attempted transmitting the suspected virus to other plants without success. All divisions of 'Spotty' have the variegation as well, and I have several dozen of them now, keeping all divisions in my collection so that I didn't accidentally distribute a virus-infected plant. Now that I'm fairly confident that the plant is not virus infected, we (FlytrapStore) might start selling them in the near future.

Now there are several other variegated flytraps in people's collections as well. I grow some of them too, such as "Patches", 'Scarlatine' and 'Vitiligo', but 'Spotty' is the definite winner of the variegated group of flytraps. The variegation on small plants of 'Spotty' is unrivaled in its beauty. As the plant matures and produces larger traps, it seems to lose its variegation somewhat. And sometimes the plant will lean toward being more green or more red. I love the variety in color it shows and the variegation is definitely very attractive in my opinion.

Traps on smaller plants showing great variegation:

Smaller traps and larger traps. Notice how the smaller traps have good variegation and the larger traps are more solid in coloration?

All of my Spotty flytraps lined up for a photo opportunity :)
Matt liked this
By Matt
Dionae wrote:Are those 3.5 x 4.5 in pots?
They're right at 3 inches at the top and 5.5 inches tall.
Dionae wrote:Also, how often do you water your VFTs?
It varies wildly depending on the weather. When it's hot and dry, I sometimes have to water the small thermoforms (only 3 inches or so deep) twice a day if I don't want to leave them sitting in water (which I always try to avoid). During the winter, I sometimes go 2 weeks or more between watering. I'd say on average, during mild temperatures (60s to 70s), I water the small thermoforms every other day and the tall ones every 4 days. When it gets up near 80, watering frequency increases a lot.
By Dionae
So am I fine leaving mine in standing water if its 90 +. I notice your VFTs are a lot drier than mine but if I don't leave mine in water the media dries out really fast. Do you think a recirculating water system would be good for VFTs?
By Matt
Dionae wrote:So am I fine leaving mine in standing water if its 90 +.
I try to avoid it at all costs, but if you won't be there to water again before they dry out, then you have to do it.
Dionae wrote:I notice your VFTs are a lot drier than mine but if I don't leave mine in water the media dries out really fast.
Right. I normally check them 2 times a day to make sure they don't dry out because I won't leave them sitting in water if I can avoid it.
Dionae wrote:Do you think a recirculating water system would be good for VFTs?
That's an interesting idea. If you could get the schedule right to keep the soil moist but not too wet, it could work well. But I think manually watering flytraps will always be better than anything automated.
Matt liked this
By roarke
Don't know why people would think that this could be a virus. They are just beautiful natural red patches combined with green ones.
Albert Einstein :
What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.
In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.
William of Ockham :
Occam's razor principle.
Among competing hypotheses, the one with the fewest assumptions should be selected. Other, more complicated solutions may ultimately prove correct, but—in the absence of certainty—the fewer assumptions that are made, the better.
Matt, tell the above quotes to spotty :)
By Matt
roarke wrote:Don't know why people would think that this could be a virus.
Variegation can be caused by a few different phenomena. One of them is a virus, so I can understand how people might think that it is a virus causing the variegation. But I do like the quote from Occam's Razor principle and I think that could apply here :)
By Matt
I do still grow Spotty and I enjoy it, but it isn't variegated at all anymore. It did make variegated foliage for a number of years (maybe 4 or 5?) but it's just a red-leafed flytrap now. Not sure why it wasn't stable. If you want a nice variegated flytrap that is stable, check out Scarlatine Venus flytrap.
vflytrap87 liked this
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!