FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By liyuan123
My venus fly-trap's leaves are 2 inches long but it's largest traps are only half an inch. Is there any way to make my venus fly-trap produce bigger traps?
Last edited by liyuan123 on Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By lil_mike227
Well the growing season just started so you need to give it time to grow I actualy just posted pics of my vft and the largest trap is only half an inch. and your trap my also still be young but i bet later in the summer you will notice larger traps :)
lil_mike227 liked this
By lil_mike227
Well how much light does it get? do you put it through dormacy? and it takes about 3 years for vft to become fully mature and like i said before its stilll early in the growing season..mabey someone with more experience can help shed some light on the subject.
By Matt
Mike is asking the right questions. Typically when a flytrap makes small traps it comes down to a few things:
1) It's not getting enough light (the most common cause).
2) It's flowering.
3) It didn't get a proper dormancy and is now tiring.
4) It's simply not large enough yet to produce large traps.
5) It's not out of dormancy yet.

But there could be other issues related to how the plant is being grown. Without more information, we can't help more.
Matt liked this
By liyuan123
My flytrap went through dormancy this year, it is not flowering, it is out of dormancy and its pot is next to other venus flytraps that have red lobes(which means they get plenty of light).
By swat007j
liyuan123 wrote:My flytrap went through dormancy this year, it is not flowering, it is out of dormancy and its pot is next to other venus flytraps that have red lobes(which means they get plenty of light).

Well something similar just happen to me , try to water the flytrap you see getting smaller from the top so you know the roots will get soak when the water drains down , I mostly water from the bottom and since I have multiple plants in one pot I'm guessing the other roots from the plants may be longer and sucks up all the water leaving my one fly trap less water and causing it to shrink a bit , well if you have multiple plants in one pot this may be the problem . :D
ps. Best time to water your plants is in the morning and the night.
By Matt
liyuan123 wrote:its pot is next to other venus flytraps that have red lobes(which means they get plenty of light).
Not necessarily. How many hours of direct sunlight is the plant receiving?

Also, some plants never get very large, so that (genetics) is another reason to add to the list above.
Matt liked this
By Steve_D
Being simultaneously too wet with not enough light can produce weak, spindly leaves with small traps. Salt burn or overdose of fertilizer or soluble material in the medium (such as in an undrained pot) can cause stunting of the leaves and traps (and damage or eventually kill the plant). There are other reasons for small traps as well, as others have mentioned, and sometimes a Venus Flytrap will produce a leaf or several leaves with very small traps and sometimes no traps at all, both of which are normal at certain times or under certain conditions.
By Jcman
Liyuan, I know this post is from 8 years ago but was wonderinghow the tiny trap problem was managed.

I have 3 x B52s. The two are fairly large. Since the purchase in July 2020, the plants have been producing large traps. Now each plant have about 9 x large active traps.

There still are at least 4-5 new traps popping up but these traps are tiny! 1/20th of the size of the other traps. Is this normal?

I have T5 HO w/ 1 bulb x 6500k and 1 bulb x 2500k (red). The VFT is less than 2 inches from the light. Temp. is consistent 86F and 40% humidity. No terrarium. A small fan runs 24/7 for air circulation.

All three VFT looks very healthy. The tiny traps bother me.
By kato_stud25
Jcman wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:20 am Liyuan, I know this post is from 8 years ago but was wonderinghow the tiny trap problem was managed.

I have 3 x B52s. The two are fairly large. Since the purchase in July 2020, the plants have been producing large traps. Now each plant have about 9 x large active traps.

There still are at least 4-5 new traps popping up but these traps are tiny! 1/20th of the size of the other traps. Is this normal?

I have T5 HO w/ 1 bulb x 6500k and 1 bulb x 2500k (red). The VFT is less than 2 inches from the light. Temp. is consistent 86F and 40% humidity. No terrarium. A small fan runs 24/7 for air circulation.

Sounds like your flytrap is dividing? Little baby traps coming out close to the ground next to the main plant is a division growing off the mother plant. Pics would help to know for sure.
Propag8 liked this
By ChefDean
kato_stud25 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:07 am
Jcman wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:20 am Liyuan, I know this post is from 8 years ago but was wonderinghow the tiny trap problem was managed.

Sounds like your flytrap is dividing? Little baby traps coming out close to the ground next to the main plant is a division growing off the mother plant. Pics would help to know for sure.
Kato hit it right on the head, your plants are dividing, the small traps are the divisions.
A VFT will only have seven leaves. You might see one coming up as one is declining, but seven is the max for VFT's. If you have nine big traps on each plant, and multiple new little leaves with small traps growing, then each plant is actually at least two. Depending on how many little leaves are coming up, you may have a few more that that.
You'll be busy next Spring dividing and repotting all those babies, start looking for moss and pots now before the Spring rush wipes out the supply.
Chef
sanguinearocks101 liked this

Piese originale Ford S-Max 2015-2020 alegerea pi[…]

https://www.pieseford.ro/piese-auto-ford-s-max-20[…]

If you are going to use peat/perlite just slip pot[…]

Hello!

Welcome

Chilly in LA…

I've got a friend in Harvey, but that looks like […]

1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I[…]

The Sphagnum Yacht

We all love cotton...blue jeans, t-shirts, underwe[…]

I counted 21 in this one. Both are flavas that I g[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!