FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Alredor
Hello everyone!
I came here to ask advice, because I've only recently started growing carnivorous plants. Here is the situation: in the summer of 2015 I bought some Sarracenia (purpurea and some hybrids) and before that I got a venus flytrap. I put my Sarracenia + flytrap in the basement near a window to let them go dormant and they stayed there from around early November to early February (temperature was about 12 degrees C or 54 degrees F. They all went dormant without problems, slowly turning brown and stopped growing. Now that February comes around I noticed my flytrap was beginning to put a flower stalk (I'll cut it off no worries), which I saw as a sign to repot/devide all my Sarracenia + flytrap and to put them outside. But I'm starting to worry, because temperatures outside are much lower (5 degrees C or 41 F) than the temperatures they experienced inside my basement. I'm afraid they will go dormant again or go into shock form the transplant + cold temperatures. Should I be worried? Should I keep them indoors for another month or so? Any advice would be appreciated!
Last edited by Alredor on Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
By ironjaws
Hi! You came to the right for advice!!!

First off, flytraps flower around early spring. The flowering process takes a lot of energy from the flytrap, therefore spring is the ideal time for them to flower. I would cut off the flower and stick it the pot(you might get some extra flytraps from it!)

Near the end of dormancy is a great time to repot flytraps and sarracenias, so there is no problem there. If your plants are doing well in the basement I would leave them there for another month, as you stated. Put them outside when spring rolls around and they should be great!

Hope I answered your questions. If not, ask away! We like questions, and pictures too!
By Alredor
That's exactly why I'm cutting of the flower stalk, to try and propagate it through cuttings.
Alright I guess I will keep them inside a little longer until the cold is over, thanks! It really is amazing to see everything already starting to spring alive almost as soon as the days started getting longer. I can't wait for spring!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
By Alredor
ironjaws wrote:Hi! You came to the right for advice!!!

First off, flytraps flower around early spring. The flowering process takes a lot of energy from the flytrap, therefore spring is the ideal time for them to flower. I would cut off the flower and stick it the pot(you might get some extra flytraps from it!)

Near the end of dormancy is a great time to repot flytraps and sarracenias, so there is no problem there. If your plants are doing well in the basement I would leave them there for another month, as you stated. Put them outside when spring rolls around and they should be great!

Hope I answered your questions. If not, ask away! We like questions, and pictures too!
Well here is my box of Sarracenia + flytraps :)

Alredor liked this
By Alredor
dutchplantlover wrote:BTW love the looks of your sarracenia(purperea?)

Verstuurd vanaf mijn HTC One M8s met Tapatalk
Thanks! Your mini bog looks very similar, looking good!
It's actually not perlite, just gravel I used as a top layer. I've tried growing spaghnum moss on the top, but it just seems to die on me every time. Gravel looks alright to me and I can clearly see any new growth that way.

BTW I'm also from the netherlands haha

By dutchplantlover
Haha weer eentje dr bij! Ik heb als toplaag gewoon wat mos wat ik in t wild heb gevonden gepakt want met ons klimaat is t onmogelijk om sphagnum te kweken.

By Alredor
dutchplantlover wrote:Haha weer eentje dr bij! Ik heb als toplaag gewoon wat mos wat ik in t wild heb gevonden gepakt want met ons klimaat is t onmogelijk om sphagnum te kweken.

Ik weet niet, heb al meerdere keren gelezen dat sommige mossen schadelijk kunnen zijn voor vleesetende planten. Dus ik wil gewoon het risico niet nemen en zo met dat grind erop ziet het er ook prima uit :)

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!