FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Places to buy Venus Flytraps and other carnivorous plants.

Moderator: Matt

By WONE
The plants come bare root and bagged up.

Outside of dinky sized plants, I don't think there are many places that offer full sized sarracenia potted simply due to how massive of a box it would require. Then of course, there's the conundrum of preventing the pot from crushing the pitchers.

On the plus side, they're really easy to pot when compared to the other carnivorous plants.
By elaineo
I bought from flytrapking before, shipped to California. My plants came potted even though they weren't supposed to (I guess he forgot).
Shipping was expensive though. $18 for plants in 3.5" (?) pots if I remember correctly.
By VelvetTooth
elaineo wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:31 pm I bought from flytrapking before, shipped to California. My plants came potted even though they weren't supposed to (I guess he forgot).
Shipping was expensive though. $18 for plants in 3.5" (?) pots if I remember correctly.
How long ago was this?
By nimbulan
Generally restrictions like this are due to agricultural regulations, trying to avoid agricultural pests from hitching a ride in plant soil. I'm not quite sure why FTK has this particular list of states because California's usually the only problematic one, and no other CP nursery that I've seen has these restrictions. It's nothing to worry about though, his plants are very healthy and Sarracenia don't really mind repotting.
By Panman
I believe that if the plants are grown indoors in a greenhouse then they can be shipped potted. If they are outdoors, they would need to be repotted into fresh media. I think.
By optique
VelvetTooth wrote:What sundew is that? And do you order a large size sarracenia? Those pitchers are pretty large :o
sundew is Binata Multifida F. Extrema

The sarr's was on sale for $25 i don't recall a size. From my experience with FTK plants have always been healthy and big. No complaints at all.

I ordered two S. Juthatip Soper that year one from FTK and one from CPN. The larger one is from FTK and did cost $5 more.
By Carnies
I have ordered from FTK once and I was not one bit disappointed! The filformis tracyi i got from them was about an inch and a half in diameter.
By MikeB
I've done a few orders from Flytrap King. My last order was a month ago, Sarracenia leucophylla x moorei that was shipped bare-root; nice size and already growing well. Three months ago, I ordered a couple Sarracenia flava "Extreme Throat" x flava "Killer" plants and a Sarracenia alata, open-pollinated, all of them in 2.5-inch / 64-millimeter pots. I've been very pleased with everything that I got from him.

Personally, I prefer to get my plants bare-rooted:
  • The shipping cost is less.
  • The existing pot is often way too small for future growth (like the flava's and alata above).
  • The plant goes in my fresh soil for a new start.
  • I know exactly how long the plant has been in this soil.
On a side note: Does anyone else see the irony in calling yourself "Flytrap King" when you only have one flytrap in your plant catalog, and it's a typical? :roll:
thepitchergrower liked this

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I got mine from a website in the […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to mon[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240424/a61a408[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!