Tissue Culture Forever

Discuss all micropropagation related topics here.
Adam
Super User

Tissue Culture Forever

by Adam » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:12 am

Say you start with a leaf pulling from a Red Dragon. Can you keep replating every 6 weeks for a year? Will you end up with 100 plants?

Some other questions:

When can you start dividing individual plants in TC to make new ones?
Can you do leaf pullings in TC?
Is your VFT experiencing these conditions?

kevinqwe

Re: Tissue Culture Forever

by kevinqwe » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:52 am

im pretty sure you can divide it you start to see traps growing.
i think you can do all propagation techniques in TC, so yes

Matt
Site Admin

by Matt » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:01 pm

Adam wrote:Say you start with a leaf pulling from a Red Dragon. Can you keep replating every 6 weeks for a year? Will you end up with 100 plants?

Yes, you can propagate plants for a long time in TC. I'm not sure how long, but I think you're supposed to get fresh tissue every once in a while otherwise the plants can start mutating.

I think if you propagated a plant for a year, you'd have way more than 100 plants, assuming that nothing went wrong.

Adam wrote:When can you start dividing individual plants in TC to make new ones?

They pretty much divide themselves. When I take tissue out of a culture, I typically wash it in sterile water. At this point, some of tissue falls apart into smaller clumps. Then, if I want to divide it further, I just use my exacto knife to cut it further. I don't know if there are any hard and fast rule for dividing tissue in cultures, but I usually try to keep a decent sized clump together and that's what I go by. Also, they really aren't individual plants. It's more like a large clump of growth.
Adam wrote:Can you do leaf pullings in TC?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean here, but if you're asking if you can take a piece of tissue from a plant that's already in TC and use it to start a new clump in TC, then yes, I'm pretty sure that you can. However, I always try to keep at least a few leaves on each clump I take. For a test this on this most recent replate of my Cupped Trap tissue, I took a single leaf off of one of the clumps. I'm going to see if it forms a completely new plant.
My Growlist
Eat Plants! Leave the meat for our pet plants :)

Adam
Super User

by Adam » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:39 am

Thanks for the detailed answer, Matt! If a single leaf does the trick, you could end up with thousands in no time.
Is your VFT experiencing these conditions?

Return to Tissue Culture