FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Cross
Ok everyone. I got some new sarrs. I've never grown one before. So, if you could kindly throw me some tips and advice, I'd appreciate it. I can read all the pages, but I'd like the 'I didn't know when I started' advice. Thanks in advance. I got a four year old plant from nevermore(can't wait until it gets new pitchers)(thanks again!). I got a dormant bulb hurricane creek white from the fts(so glad I got one. I can't wait until that gets new pitchers.). I got a hybrid from California carnivore(..it's one of those mystery hybrids). Then I got a sarra x. Bug bat. Any advice would be much appreciated. Adding: I currently have two 5k Kelvin1600 lumen lightbulbs. I'm trying to find some light housings today that I don't have to hang because there's nowhere for me to hang them. They're on a long shelf with the other like 20vfts I have. I need to make that space work until I can start putting them outside again.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
By CpKid
Whats the average temperature in your area? You might be able to just place them outside if it doesn't drop too far below freezing. I'm not too good with Sarracenias under grow lights, but it may not work to have some of the taller plants under the same grow lights as the Vft's, you'd probably need to tilt one end of the light to meet the Sarc.'s hight requirements.
By Cross
This is what it's looking like this week. In summer, it'll be going outside. Do they stay in dormancy until Feb as well?Image

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
By CpKid
Yes, they do usually but I think that can vary. I'm keeping my sarracenia bulbs inside until it remains at a steady 27-32+ Degrees outdoors, but I'm new to this too, so I'll see how that works. But probably keep them inside until it remains over 32.
By SundewWolf
I'm not a fan of Sarracenia indoors. They need a decent cold dormancy and growing them outside in full sun during active growth is always best. Indoor lighting needs to be pretty strong.

Assuming your temps will get into the 50's or 60's in March you can put them outside then (I am assuming they may not be acclimated to extreme cold coming from CC or someone's greenhouse even if they are dormant). Mine stay outside all winter and I don't bother protecting them in my heated winter boxes until the temp falls below 25*F. (in extreme cold the cables heat the boxes up only to about 35-40 so I'm not talking about "heating" them to any significant tropical temperature). If acclimated to the outdoors you could safely put them outside once it's above 40 (honestly probably even once it's above 30 I just 'baby' all my plants a bit).
SundewWolf liked this
alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

*Phew* Okay, hadn't updated this is awhile. :l[…]

Well.. its been a few weeks. I've watched my dog l[…]

All Mineral Media

I just got the Pinguicula soil mix from CalCarn […]

Counting to infinity.

FTS Deep Red Guerrilla

they are waking up! https://i.imgur.com/d7iJ3aF.[…]

What’s happening

Im not sure how strong the grow lights are but the[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Here is the photo, didn’t upload for some re[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

That is one heck of a setup. What are all the larg[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!