FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By trapperkeeper69
At work I have been watching my plants all day long on a spare monitor. It's high quality entertainment... sometimes a bird or a dude with a leaf blower will show up, and in healthier times it might catch bugs (edit: I just noticed, it caught something in the very last frame). For the last month it has been recovering from mistakes involving the Miracle Gro brand, and perhaps numerous other things I was doing wrong at first. I've saved a few frames every day and put them together with a creepy Xenakis soundtrack. Enjoy.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YvOWR4QDxQ[/youtube]

This is the app I use as webcam software: "IP Webcam". Turns out, old phones are really useful. It's both a camera and a web server, and on reboot it knows how to immediately start up the webcam again.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... m&hl=en_US
By trapperkeeper69
What the bird did was it took a bath in the outer rectangular container with the water in it. Mosquitos have been trying to spawn in there too. There are definitely some complications to keeping these things outdoors, but at least the new place I'm moving into will be on a second floor balcony with a less dangers.
By Kenneth
You must let the water on the bottom dry, mosquitoes avoid laying eggs in water sources that dry way to quickly.
By trapperkeeper69
They're still going. Here is the 2.5 month version. We moved apartments and the one on the right didn't much like the move, but I'm sure it will like the increased sunlight. And the one on the left is doing great.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn3JoKOWZzE[/youtube]

Kenneth: yep, my original strategy was to keep water in it at all times like so many people say to do, but since have picked up on the probably better strategy of letting it dry out in between. How long in between? Well I have no idea what the sweet spot is and I have no idea how moist the soil beneath the surface is at any given time and I have no idea what the difference between the English words "most" and "damp" is supposed to be. So I just water it whenever. And I am not seeing algae anymore, so that's nice.
By Fieldofscreams
The way I do it is the weight of the pots. I wait until they are so light that it feels like their empty containers when I pick them up. Admittedly i do take it to the extreme.

Peat/perlite weight a lot more than nzlfsm when wet and dry much slower. It's going to come down to experience.

Either way the idea is moist but not wet.
Fieldofscreams liked this
By trapperkeeper69
So I do have a same-size pot of the mix which has no plants because it had a baby plant that tipped over in the car during the move, and didn't survive. It's completely dry now.

And, wow! My other plants were last watered 2 days ago (they've had plenty of sun to dry out in) and they are WAY heavier than the dry pot. More than double heavy. I was thinking about watering them every 2nd day because it's pretty hot, but this suggests that every 2nd day would be... not necessarily too much water but they're sure as hell not dry.
Not what you would expect...

The guy who lived across from me has an electric[…]

You live in Siberia??? :shock:

I don't know about proven, but I've kept mine seal[…]

rustoleum 2x painters touch, but i do touch them u[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

worm in substrate?

Yes. It looks like a fungus gnat larvae to me as[…]

Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!