FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By Starchy
Similar to how Marijuana is deemed by many to be a gateway drug to more addictive and dangerous drugs, I have started to notice that this forum is like that for CPs.

I started liking VFTs and purchased one in Wilmington, NC this past May. Since then, I have fell in love with many cultivars of VFTs and have even purchased another one from FTS. As I read through the forums, I have learned a lot more about CPs, and started even reading books on them. Now, I have a $250-$300 grow light setup, spend about $15 dollars a month on water, and own at least 1 bag of the following: peat, perlite, pumice, silica sand, lava rock, vermiculite, LFS, and orchid bark.

I have branched my CP collection to growing D. capensis, spatulata, and indica from seed, Darlingtonia from seed, and have started my own live sphagnum moss collection. A CP that I have never even cared for my entire life (I owned a VFT when I was little and my brother got unlucky and got the pitcher plant), Sarracenia has become my newest obsession!

To make the analogy go even further, I got my girlfriend into pings (she now owns a P. weser and P. esseriana), and got my best friend into CPs (he is growing D. capensis and Darlingtonia from seed, has 1 typical VFT, 2 pings, and is also obsessed with getting a Sarr).

Anyone else have a similar experience?

To avoid any confusion, this is meant to be a compliment to Flytrapcare.com. They have setup a wonderfully detailed site that is saturated with CP info. The community has been so helpful to myself and other newcomers, that we all find ourselves in similar situations: "I am running out of spaces to put my newest CP love!"

Thanks FTC.
By parker679
Starchy wrote:Similar to how Marijuana is deemed by many to be a gateway drug to more addictive and dangerous drugs...
Only by the uninformed or those who buy into the propaganda. ;)

But yes, I agree. Though not this forum in particular but the hobby as a whole. It's a short trip from "I only want a few nice plants" to "I must own every species of Sarracenia."

I wish I could get my wife hooked, then I could justify buying more plants.
parker679 liked this
By sbrooks
I'll stay away from the drug war debate, just doesn't seem like the right forum, but I would say that if you start pawning your girlfriend's valuables for CPs, then you might just have a problem. 8-)
sbrooks liked this
By sbrooks
parker679 wrote:
I wish I could get my wife hooked, then I could justify buying more plants.
You and me both, brother.

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!