FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Moderator: Matt

By Oblivion
squirtoman wrote:Also i want to a medicine spoons,i find 'em handy for watering small plants and seedlings,without flooding them :lol:
another good one for that is go to a chemist and get their largest syringe, without needle.
ideally, it'll be like 40-60mls (quite big, scary to think what its used for WITH needle)

i use it to gently dribble water around seedlings or delicate plants
Oblivion liked this
By Grey
Hehe. Another one for you:

Plastic gloves
You have to be careful with these as most are scented (and may have nasty stuff on them), but if you can soak them for a couple of days before hand or better yet get NON scented ones, they're useful for handling plants that have a mould/fungus problem so you can treat it without getting anything unpleasasnt on your hands and may help reduce the risk of spreading any fungus/mould/whatever should you need to handle a variety of plants at once. Also good when applying fungicides.

By bananaman
spray bottle

useful for misting plants :)

plastic cups

useful for starting cuttings or growing terrestrial utrics in a manner where the bladders can be seen (the method described on p. 233 of savage garden)

saran wrap

useful for creating humidity for tiny seedlings and newly acquired small plants
Last edited by bananaman on Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By RL7836
Oblivion wrote:plant tags (use a quality weatherproof texta or pencil)
i use staedtler lumocolor, its the only texta ive found thats water proof and fade proof for several years.
(we use these at work on a shiney plastic label. they sit unprotected in direct weather for several years with only a little bit of fading.
Following the advice of some English folks with huge collections (Mike King & Aidan Selwyn), I purchased a Brother P-Touch label maker (With TZ tapes). The labels last longer than anything yet found on the market (don't know how long because none have failed) and add a professional touch - for those who care about such things. It only takes pulling one marker out of a pot that no longer has any legible writing on it to justify this purchase (imho).
By roarke
As a label, you can use the plastic that came with the coffe plastic cups from the automatic coffee machines (like those from Half-life pc game, but i don't know how the "automatic machines" are really called). Btw, the plastics would not be detrimental for the soil on the long term ?
By David F
Techniques for feeding Sundew, these come directly from Sundewman and are not mine originally, as much as I would like to claim so.

Varieties of fish food, can be grinded with bread roller, (or in my case crushed with a weight.) When they are powder you can use *tiny Tweezers* to pick up small specs of food for your babies (time consuming but it's worth it.) This powder can also be mixed with water, and taken up with eye droppers and put on your larger sundews. (if you put too much, you can just suck the rest up.)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu9dtgQZghU[/youtube] (large sundews)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6y5fDHwHP4[/youtube] (small sundews)
David F liked this
By boggyboy72
I saw these on a YouTube video by PlantzNThings and bought a set.They work pretty good with the few plants I have right now.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/Garden/page ... 54307&ap=2

That video also made Me think that there may be a Ping out there calling my name. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvAy34UwMUs
boggyboy72 liked this
By Goodkoalie
I have a few:(will post pics in a little while

Pot:
Used to hold the plant

(low mineral) Water:
Used to water the plant

Peat moss:
Used to hold the plant in the pot,

Seed Flats:
Used to hold multiple pots at once

water trays:
used to water plants usinfg the tray method.

Sissors:
Used to cut off old growth, old flowers, ect.

Paint Brush:
Used to pollinate flowers, and feed baby dews.

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Fishing

Hi Chef, I'm interested in whatever you have that […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!