FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post suggestions or comments related to the FlytrapStore.com here

Moderator: Matt

By DTDream18
It's come to my attention that most of the Low Giant flytraps being sold online may not be the real Low Giant cultivar ? Can anyone shed any light on this ? I just ordered a potted Low Giant from here on the Flytrapstore. I'm sure that if I purchase a plant from Matt that it will be the real deal.
By Matt
I am not aware of anyone selling inauthentic Low Giant flytraps. I did order some "Low Giant" tissue from Europe that turned out to be a different clone than the "Low Giant" we grow here in the United States. Unfortunately it came in vitro and I propagated quite a few of them before finding out that they were not the same clone. Steve has made a few posts about it expressing his concern on the matter, but to my knowledge none of them were ever sold here in the United States labeled as "Low Giant". We sold all of ours as "typical" flytraps. There could be other vendors/collectors who also obtained a "Low Giant" from Europe (the seller I got it from was selling on eBay offering international shipping) and are now propagating and distributing that clone, but I am not aware of such activity.
By DTDream18
Very confusing Matt. So there could be plants out there for sale that are this European version of the Low Giant ? I'm just happy to know that I'll be getting the real Mc'Coy. I'm very leery of purchasing VFT's on Ebay unless I know that seller has a really good rep.

I recently placed a bid on a Wally VFT. I really wanted a Wally and I was prepared to outbid all comers. But something about the wording of the auction made me suspicious and when I questioned the seller it turned out to be a seed grown plant. I immediatly retracted my bid.

Can't wait to receive my Low Giant. I understand that they are a beautiful cultivar. And you guys always send me gorgeous, healthy plants.
By BlogsfromaSingleMom
I thought I read somewhere on this forum not too long ago that one retailer was selling plants from seed from the parent plant labeled as the same variety that parent plant was. I can't remember the name of the seller.
By Matt
DTDream18 wrote:ery confusing Matt. So there could be plants out there for sale that are this European version of the Low Giant ?
Yes, there almost certainly is some out there for sale in the US. But that same risk exists with almost any of the cultivars that have been in circulation for a long time. Think about how many people come here and post that they are growing XXX cultivar from seed. Until they get the explanation that flytraps only reproduce true-to-type by vegetative propagation, they have no idea that the plants they are growing from seed will not be identical to the parent plant. I'm sure that many of the cultivars that have been in circulation for years have quite a few genetically distinct plants circulating under their name.
DTDream18 wrote:Can't wait to receive my Low Giant. I understand that they are a beautiful cultivar.
Yes, the US Low Giant is one of the best flytraps out there, in my opinion. Huge traps, low-growth (which I prefer) and good to great coloration most of the year; a wonderful Venus fly trap!
DTDream18 wrote:And you guys always send me gorgeous, healthy plants.
Thanks for that Mike!
BlogsfromaSingleMom wrote:I thought I read somewhere on this forum not too long ago that one retailer was selling plants from seed from the parent plant labeled as the same variety that parent plant was.
Yes, I've seen that happen a few times. I do recall it happening recently too...
Matt liked this
By DTDream18
Just receive my Low Giant from Flytrapstore. Gorgeous plant .... I think this might end up being my favorite plant.
DTDream18 liked this
worm in substrate?

Yes. It looks like a fungus gnat larvae to me as w[…]

a table with under bed totes painted white used […]

These are argentine ants, to the best of my know[…]

Mixing small amounts of miticide

maybe make an intermediate stock solution that you[…]

Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!