FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By rhopkins
Here in Southwest Arkansas we are frying in the heat. Today in my greenhouse it is 105F and 101 outside. I sure hope these plants can stand the heat. I do have a misting system that runs during the high heat of the day but it does a good job of raising the humidity which ultimately holds more heat. The fans in the greenhouse don't help much either. I was wondering if I am getting to high of a temperature for these plants. Maybe I should start the misters earlier in the day. They are all programmable any suggestions would be helpful.
By Matt
When I first moved my plants into the greenhouse here in Ashland, it was August and we had some searing hot weather (up into 100s). Additionally, I knew nothing about how to grow in a greenhouse or how hot they could get. I didn't use a shade cloth, nor a fan, nor any misters. I didn't even leave the vents open for the first two days! Temperatures got up to 130°F in the greenhouse. The plants didn't die, but they certainly didn't like it.

Long story short, they can deal with very hot temperatures for short periods of time. The important part is keeping the root system somewhat cool. As long as the soil doesn't heat up too much, they'll be fine with temperatures up into the 100s.
Matt liked this
By rhopkins
77 goodness it was that hot back in March here... I could stand that kind of weather year around. But I bet your winters would run me off.
By snapperhead51
Ok I know how it is with those high temps Living here in South Australia its the norm in summer , seems our summers are several months longer than yours ?? before I installed the very large evaporative water cooler in the green house ,some temps got to 56 c inside that's about 150 f !! ok true and higher at times , the neps and other plants coped but not well , now with mister going on every hour for 4 min at 430 bar on 32 mister putting out 8 litres a hour each of rainwater ,and the cooler coming on at 1/4 speed the temp issue is gone , I now do not even bother putting on shade cloth over the roof , and have changed the polycarbonate roofing to clear as well so get the max sun ! with no massive heat because it gets all blown out the other end of the green house ,which also means I have 3 sections to the green house now , cool , warm and quite warm , so can regulate neps from highland to intermediate plants very well until winter then it all changes again ha ha ah .
To cope with high temps you need to increase your humidity and air flow , this stops the plant from dehydration and burning , easy to say extremely hard to to as I found out !!, specially when your out side humidity is zero to begin with , like it is here on some very hot dry days !! any how by having the higher humidity will prevent nep's from over stressing and drying out and causing death or a long recovery for the heat affects at times if too high !!so on these days your having to increase your misting to maintain that 60% plus humidity all day and get a evaporative cool or swam cooler at one end and draw the hot air from the top out this will help all the plants and keep them in good shape
will put up a few pic's to show what I am talking about ok and a misting vid I did in the green house too , goes on for ever for got to change the timer to auto had it on Manuel ?? is why it did not turn off !! see inside the green house the 2 cooling vents from the cooler coming into the green house.
just took those today and its winter her too ?? sunny days still got sun burnt fishing yesterday ??
J

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pInAj1FwB0Q[/youtube]
Attachments:
P1100922.JPG
P1100922.JPG (94.44 KiB) Viewed 3645 times
P1100924.JPG
P1100924.JPG (137.07 KiB) Viewed 3645 times
P1100925.JPG
P1100925.JPG (127.24 KiB) Viewed 3645 times
snapperhead51 liked this
By rhopkins
Down under gets more heat than I do. Our humidity runs no less than 50% all summer. We sweat like hogs all summer. My misters are going to get reprogrammed tomorrow to run longer. I think I can bring down the heat a few more degrees since it runs off of cool well water than is 54F year around. But I like your setup, here evaporative coolers do not perform well as our humidity is just to high for there to be any heat exchange.

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Not what you would expect...

The old trailer is kinda spooky as it is, withou[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!