FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By italo.americano
Hi Everyone!

Since it is the dead of summer most of you, like myself, are experiencing temperatures close to 100 degrees or more during the day. As we all know, it is okay to leave Dionaea outside during the day in-order to satisfy their need for full sun. If you are doing this, please make sure that you are watering daily from above. I do not like to use the tray method because water in a tray does not last very long on a hot summer's day.
Although my plants are doing okay during the middle of the day when temperatures reach close to 100, I have found it very helpful to move them to a shady location between 12 and 3 PM. This reduces the hot summer sun wilting them and also allows them to dry out much slower. I have found that 3 hours less of direct sun has not had no adverse effects on my plants.
Also, if you have a small plant or have just transplanted I would strongly suggest avoiding
the midday sun.

I hope this helps and I'm sure that there are varying opinions on the subject,

Giovanni
By dionaea muscipula
thanks i really appreciate your advise and help
By Siannuro
italo.americano wrote:Hi Everyone!

Since it is the dead of summer most of you, like myself, are experiencing temperatures close to 100 degrees or more during the day. As we all know, it is okay to leave Dionaea outside during the day in-order to satisfy their need for full sun. If you are doing this, please make sure that you are watering daily from above. I do not like to use the tray method because water in a tray does not last very long on a hot summer's day.
Although my plants are doing okay during the middle of the day when temperatures reach close to 100, I have found it very helpful to move them to a shady location between 12 and 3 PM. This reduces the hot summer sun wilting them and also allows them to dry out much slower. I have found that 3 hours less of direct sun has not had no adverse effects on my plants.
Also, if you have a small plant or have just transplanted I would strongly suggest avoiding
the midday sun.

I hope this helps and I'm sure that there are varying opinions on the subject,

Giovanni
That's exactly what I've been doing. The temperature here is 105° at noon, so I put them in the shade at 11am. I am doing the tray method though. I'm going to stop now because I don't want the water to boil the roots (unless it has already happened :( hopefully not). Cooked root = fungal infection = death XP
By hackerberry
I wish we also get that much heat in mid day. That would be awesome for my Lowland Neps.

hb
By Redneck_Angel
That's why you gotta move out of Cowtown HB. Here in Vic it's sunny and between 30-35 celcius most days :D
By Adam
Thanks for the reminder!
By hackerberry
I know G! Someday.....hehe

hb
By KruperTrooper
You could also get a spray bottle and mist them, it will keep the leaves from wilting if I remember correctly.
Hello, New to the forum

I wish! These are city slicker deer. No hunting […]

Introduction: In today's modern society, individua[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!