FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Starchy
Dionae wrote:Grey you dont have any baby pings? I'd love to see some.
This was a P. 1717 given to me by another forum member that I gave to a friend. It had very unfavorable conditions for about 1-2 months and almost died. I took it back as a rescue. I think it was seed grown, but I am not 100%.

1 month into rescue attempt

2&1/2 months into rescue attempt
Starchy liked this
By jwbates26
2012-12-26_15-46-32_160.jpg
2012-12-26_15-46-32_160.jpg (81.1 KiB) Viewed 4436 times
3x D. Maroon Monster x B52, Unknown Sarracenia, D. rotundifolia, D. spatulata (fraser island) 2x D. burmannii?
The two that look like D. burmannii just started growing in some peat. I bought some premier peat moss and replanted a D. capensis in it. I used a 16oz clear plastic cup and one day I was looking to see if I could see any of the roots growing and noticed two green dots half way down the pot. Luckily the soil came out of the cup in one clump and I used a tooth pick to move the two plants over to this pot. Would anyone second my opinion on whether the two small green drosera's in the bottom right corner of the first picture are indeed D. burmannii?
Mixed Drosera
Mixed Drosera
2012-12-26_15-32-48_470.jpg (103.22 KiB) Viewed 4436 times
D. indica
D. indica
2013-01-02_15-05-44_915.jpg (77.14 KiB) Viewed 4436 times
I have some Sarra seedling that are just starting to germinate. Once they get bigger I'll take pictures of them.
Last edited by jwbates26 on Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jwbates26 liked this
By jwbates26
Thanks Eric. I know what all the red dews are. Mainly spatulata varieties. I was curious of the two green ones in the first pictures with the sarracenia. I edited my post and tried to make my question a little more clear :oops:
By Starchy
Couple updates to my seedlings I posted earlier:

3 different Darlingonia seedlings from today (5 months old)

Transplanted my 2 best D. spatulata seedlings (now adjusting to new media)

A few other D. spatulata seedlings, not quite ready to be moved
Starchy liked this
By jwbates26
A few Sarra seeds that have just germinated.
S. rubra gulfensis "Ancestral Form" Crawford Co. AL.
S. rubra gulfensis "Ancestral Form" Crawford Co. AL.
2013-01-14_21-10-23_709.jpg (79.77 KiB) Viewed 4380 times
S. 'Leah Wilkerson' x purpurea ssp venusa burkii Crestview Fl.
S. 'Leah Wilkerson' x purpurea ssp venusa burkii Crestview Fl.
2013-01-14_21-07-06_192.jpg (72.71 KiB) Viewed 4380 times
S. alata black tube Desoto
S. alata black tube Desoto
2013-01-14_21-05-32_143.jpg (65.81 KiB) Viewed 4380 times
And a quick picture of some spatulata seeds thrown on some sphagnum.
D. Spatulata
D. Spatulata
D.jpg (87.69 KiB) Viewed 4380 times
jwbates26 liked this
By jwbates26
Sounds like a good plan Eric. I'm trying the 24/7 photo period. Took just under two weeks to germinate and 13 days from germination they are getting their first pitcher.

When I got these seeds he gave me both LWxpurp and purpxLW plus two other varieties. Even though they were padded with bubble wrap a lot of the seeds were smashed by the sorting machines. I went ahead a stratified them and tried to see what would germinate. I was excited to see so many of the LWxpurps germinate and I don't think any of purpxLW will. They have all turned a darker color. The two I got were S. purpurea ssp venosa var. Burkii Crestview, FL x 'Leah Wilkerson' and S. oreophila sand Mtn #2 open pollinated. I'm still hopeful that maybe one or two will germinated but they both got really took a beating in the mail.
By parker679
jwbates26 wrote:Sounds like a good plan Eric. I'm trying the 24/7 photo period. Took just under two weeks to germinate and 13 days from germination they are getting their first pitcher.

When I got these seeds he gave me both LWxpurp and purpxLW plus two other varieties. Even though they were padded with bubble wrap a lot of the seeds were smashed by the sorting machines. I went ahead a stratified them and tried to see what would germinate. I was excited to see so many of the LWxpurps germinate and I don't think any of purpxLW will. They have all turned a darker color. The two I got were S. purpurea ssp venosa var. Burkii Crestview, FL x 'Leah Wilkerson' and S. oreophila sand Mtn #2 open pollinated. I'm still hopeful that maybe one or two will germinated but they both got really took a beating in the mail.
Glad I'm not the only one whose post office seems to use steam rollers to sort the mail.

Got some free seeds from Eric back in September that the PO did a number on. I'm trying a natural stratification by potting them up and leaving them outside all winter. I haven't checked on them in several weeks, I wonder how they're doing.
By jwbates26
Were those the S. rubra ssp. wherryi x purp purp he was giving away? Eric sent me some of those and I gave them a 5 week strat and then place them on some chopped spag. and some grew mold on them but there are a few that still look nice a golden brown, but not one has germinated yet and they've been out of strat for about a month now.
parker679 wrote:Glad I'm not the only one whose post office seems to use steam rollers to sort the mail.
No kidding. I was disappointed, naturally. The person who sent them said to let him know which were bad seeds and he'd send me more, but I feel bad doing that. It wasn't his fault and he was nice enough to send me all of those to begin with.
By parker679
jwbates26 wrote:Were those the S. rubra ssp. wherryi x purp purp he was giving away? Eric sent me some of those and I gave them a 5 week strat and then place them on some chopped spag. and some grew mold on them but there are a few that still look nice a golden brown, but not one has germinated yet and they've been out of strat for about a month now.
parker679 wrote:Glad I'm not the only one whose post office seems to use steam rollers to sort the mail.
No kidding. I was disappointed, naturally. The person who sent them said to let him know which were bad seeds and he'd send me more, but I feel bad doing that. It wasn't his fault and he was nice enough to send me all of those to begin with.
Yup, those were the seeds. I just sprinkled them on some 50/50 peat/sand the same way I did my VFT seeds and covered them with a tent similar to how Meadowview recommends. Unfortunately we've only had a few nights this year that dropped below freezing so we'll see if it works.

I'm with you, Eric offered to send more seeds but I'm not going to fault him because of the PO's issues. Plus I'd hate to have a second set of seeds get crushed when they could go to someone else instead.
Perlite from Ebay

yeah it does look realllly sketchy on their websit[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

I was considering this brand but it seems to be ou[…]

Will it likely recover?

Definitely chop the flowers off this year to help […]

Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Another eBay Deal

Wow. Thats seems like a really good deal.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!