FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By carelerasmus
Okei so I've been wanting to make a nice little terrarium for my sundews and flytraps....and possibly bladderworts as well! But you'll have to confirm that for me please anywhoo...I was wondering what stones could I put on the surface? What kind of stones would not release damaging substances? As in would those round , almost glossy river stones work? And also could someone please try and confirm if I do have Bladderworts?

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
By carelerasmus
Okei so this is what I was wondering? Are those bladderworts around my sundew? Or simply moss? I wonder because I see what seems to be a flower forming from one of the "butterworts"Image

By Hungry Plants
As far as the river stone goes you would have to test every stone to see if it was inert as they're all different. For the mystery plant its hard to tell but looks like grass to me. Plain fish tank gravel works well. I personally like the look of one caled bits of walnut. Its vary natural looking and also comes in a few sizes.
By carelerasmus
Hungry Plants wrote:As far as the river stone goes you would have to test every stone to see if it was inert as they're all different. For the mystery plant its hard to tell but looks like grass to me. Plain fish tank gravel works well. I personally like the look of one caled bits of walnut. Its vary natural looking and also comes in a few sizes.
Hmmm okay thanks! But can you see the flower stalk-ish thing coming out of what looks like the grass? I dont think grass does that! Hmmm well I guess if it flowers I'll know for sure that it is bladderworts?

By KategoricalKarnivore
Yep you’ve got bladderworts in that pic. Congrats.
By carelerasmus
Hungry Plants wrote:point me in the direction of the stouck.
Uhm look at 8 o' clock of the sundew, where the beginning of the leaf is, the stem seems to be coming 'out of the screen' Image hope you can see it!

By carelerasmus
KategoricalKarnivore wrote:Yep you’ve got bladderworts in that pic. Congrats.
Really! Ohh thats amazing! It came free with my droseras then!Image

By carelerasmus
Hungry Plants wrote:point me in the direction of the stouck.
This should help!Image

By Hungry Plants
Ok I see it . Yes you have some bladderwort. Did you get your dew from California carnivores? The often have bladderwort in there pots.
By carelerasmus
Hungry Plants wrote:Ok I see it . Yes you have some bladderwort. Did you get your dew from California carnivores? The often have bladderwort in there pots.
Haha no I'm from South Africa! I got my Droseras from Pan's Carnivores and also recieved some bonus venus flytraps! And now I hear I have some bladderworts as well!Image

By Bob Beer
As long as you don’t use limestone or other sedimentary rocks you should be okay. My concern would be more with the Flytrap. It needs a cold winter rest while that sunder (looks like D. capensis) is subtropical and grows throughout the year. So the conditions each needs are harmful to the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By carelerasmus
Bob Beer wrote:As long as you don’t use limestone or other sedimentary rocks you should be okay. My concern would be more with the Flytrap. It needs a cold winter rest while that sunder (looks like D. capensis) is subtropical and grows throughout the year. So the conditions each needs are harmful to the other.

Yeah, but I believe it will be cold enough next year when its winter here! If not I could remove the fly traps or the lid of the tank ? That should be enough cold right?

By Bob Beer
Where are you, and how cold?

Hello, New to the forum

Welcome to the forum! We have a horrible deer i[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mine[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!