FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By stephen777
So I have a 4 foot tank that I have been growing some plants in for a month or so. So far I haven't put any backing on the tank and I am just wondering what others use for their terrariums. Preferably i'm looking to get something that isnt too expensive.
By David F
I got a giant roll of mylar for 35$ and I use it for some of my setups. However, you can use taped cardstock paper, (disperses the light well and diffuses evenly), mirrors, styrofoam (some even has mylar on one side). Or my personal favorite aluminium foil; it's easy to work with by clinging to surfaces and reflects a good deal, it doesn't keep the heat in the setup which is nice and it's very cheap.
David F liked this
By katya_dog1
Mylar is the best. Aluminum foil is a cheap and decent substitute.
katya_dog1 liked this
By Nevermore
There is some site that shows the reflectivity of different surfaces for terrariums. From what I remember... Mylar is the best (though expensive).... And aluminum foil is worse then just a white painted surface or foam board. Poke around for it on google.... It should pop up. I use a middle ground item which is just the survival heat blankets.... Which looks like Mylar on one side. You can get them at outdoor places... Bass pro... Etc. also the mylar covered bubble wrap that you can buy at big box stores was also suppose to be good.
By boarderlib
I'm by no means am authority, since I'm still adjusting my setup. I used a mirror tint from Home Depot on all four sides of my setup. Someone else on here used mirrored auto tint on theirs too. Sorry I can't remember who, I just remember reading it. When the light is on you can see everything beautifully, but when it's night night time you can't see inside at all unless you look in from the top making it kind of hard to monitor temps and humidity. I shine a flashlight inside and look through the glass if I want to see my gauges after dark though. It does make it look like I have a forest of plants too.

Just an outside of the box idea.

Good luck with whatever way you decide to go.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!