FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By 1 Novice gardener
I am a beginner in the world of carnivorous plants. I have two newly purchased sundews. (cape and round which I am trying to save) I want to make a terrarium for them. I also want to germinate some cape sundew seeds in the terrarium. After some time I will keep the sundews outside the terrarium and keep new carnivorous plants in them (after some experience). I need helpbin making a terrarium and maintaining humidity,temperature, airflow and lighting in the terrarium. I have a old aquarium and would like to keep my plants separately potted inside the terrarium.
By mo_carnivore
Do you have The Savage Garden by Peter D'amato? It's a great introduction into the world of carnivorous plants. It also has a great section on terrariums. However, the short version is that you'll want to get a few grow lights, preferably T8 or T5HO, and fit them onto your aquarium hood. The lights usually come in the lengths of most aquariums, so this is already helpful. Then, if possible, connect the lights to a timer. For airflow, leave an inch of a gap between the hood and the aquarium rim. You don't really need a fan unless you want higher humidity and more airflow, but if you can get one, a small fan would probably be beneficial in a large aquarium. You won't need a heater or cooling system until you decide to grow plants like wooly sundews, Heliamphora, and some of the Nepenthes. If you want to get a jump start though, The Savage Garden mentions a great method of using an aquarium heater set to 80-90 degrees fahrenheit in a jar of water in the aquarium. This not only raises the temperature the humidity as well. Keep all of your plants in their own trays, or have one big deep tray, as long as the plants in there do not have conflicting water requirements.

Good luck on your terrarium!
By boarderlib
Smooter80 wrote:Or do it the easy way and ditch the terrarium all together.
Most common Drosera don't need the elevated humidity of a terrarium. Make your life easier and cheaper and follow smooter's advice.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
By cjpflaumer
I pretty much use my terrarium for propagation. I got sick of bagging a ton of pots. Like they've said, most don't need the elevated humidity. But if you do want one, as said above, the Savage Garden is a great way to plan it out.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!