FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By luna
Hey all,

I'm a sort of tentative newbie, I guess, just checking this out. I likely won't get any CPs this year, as my living situation at the moment probably wouldn't work at all (small apartment in a state where we have frosts/snow from October until May, sometimes as early as September and as late as June). However, I'm applying to grad programs (PhDs in School Psychology) for next year, so my living situation may turn out to be more hospitable to CPs then. They are definitely something I'd like to get into, though, and I'm excited to be here!

As for me, I'm a college student in Montana. I'll be graduating this year (hopefully) with degrees in psychology and social work and am applying to grad school. I'm very into research (and recently got my first peer-reviewed publication), but ultimately want a more balanced or clinically lopsided career.

I'm interested in CPs because they seem very "different" from other plants--there's a lot to learn about them, and I'm eager to do so.
By dionaea muscipula
hello and welcome to the flytrapcare family you should get a nepenthes (tropical pitcher plant) your weather seems great for growing one inside a house!! hope to see you around
By Matt
Hello luna and welcome to flytrapcare!

You're in Montana, huh? That's awesome! I lived in Missoula for a year in 2006-2007. I loved it! That's where my wife is from and amazingly enough she's in the Clinical Psychology PhD program at the University of Montana. Crazy!

Congrats on your recent peer-review publication! That's great.

I hope that you're able to get into CPs soon. You're missing out! While you won't be able to grow them outside from October to May, temperate CPs will do well there from June through September. But you can always try some tropical or sub-tropical CPs in your windowsills!
By Veronis
Greets luna!

I get you on CP's - they feel very exotic and almost alien compares to other plants. It's like having a pet, and you feel compelled to feed them. A lot of people even name their favorite plants. Chompy is a bit overused, but you get the idea... ;)
By kevinqwe
Welcome to flytrapcare!!
Ive been to yellowstone national park, thats part of Montana :lol:
By luna
Thanks for the warm responses, all--much appreciated! And yes, about the "pet" thing--that was exactly what I'm thinking! :) Knowing me any CPs I get will likely be named, but I promise to stay away from "Chomper." :lol:

Does anyone have any ideas about what (small, preferably) CPs might grow well inside? From reading here, I know that's not ideal, but I doubt our 20 and below weather would be that great for them, either! ;) I have small window sill but a large desk right up against it, and I seem to get okay light. Maybe it might work? Would being 2-ish inches away from the window itself be a "death blow" to a CP?

What did you do about the winters when you lived here, Matt?

I'm a fellow Griz, actually! From looking at your previous posts, your wife is Leah? I think I actually knew her, as a matter of fact... I was set on Clinical Psych for a long time, but School Psych turned out to be a much better fit for my research interests, so that's where I'm focused now
By Matt
luna wrote:Does anyone have any ideas about what (small, preferably) CPs might grow well inside? From reading here, I know that's not ideal, but I doubt our 20 and below weather would be that great for them, either! ;) I have small window sill but a large desk right up against it, and I seem to get okay light. Maybe it might work? Would being 2-ish inches away from the window itself be a "death blow" to a CP?
There are plenty of tropical droseras that will stay pretty small and do well in a windowsill over the winter. Nepenthes are another option for a windowsill, but they won't stay small for long. I do have some for sale in the store that are pretty small right now though and they won't get too big on you over the next year or so.
luna wrote:What did you do about the winters when you lived here, Matt?
I hadn't actually gotten into CPs when I was living in Montana. But if I had, I probably would have put them in the windowsill. Leah and I lived in a basement apartment on 13th Street. It actually got decent sun and stayed cool, so it probably would have worked well.
luna wrote:I'm a fellow Griz, actually! From looking at your previous posts, your wife is Leah? I think I actually knew her, as a matter of fact... I was set on Clinical Psych for a long time, but School Psych turned out to be a much better fit for my research interests, so that's where I'm focused now
That's crazy that you know Leah. Small world! Good luck with getting into grad school. I remember the stress of that whole fiasco. Hopefully you get your first choice!
By Veronis
As far as Matt's store goes, the Sanguinea would probably be the best bet for a first time Nep grower. The Judith Finn is a pretty slow grower if space is a concern (and arguably better looking).

I have a Nepenthes Ventricosa, which is also a very very easy highland to grow; great for newbies. There are a ton of others that are easy growers. Stick with Highland species (as opposed to Lowland).

As for drosera, my personall recommendation is that you start with a Drosera Capensis (red, narrow, or alba) - I'd go with the "narrow". The regular (non-narrow) capensis has heavier leaves and it tends to droop more. But why Capensis? Because when you feed it, it will start to wrap around the insect(s) within an hour or two; plus they're easy to grow, tolerate a fairly wide range of temps, and require no dormancy. Great for a window.
By Aging_Bourbon
Hello Luna,

As i say to all new people that join Welcome! to flytrapcare.com and so glad you can join our online family! an help more people getting educated in the art of better care for CP's everywhere!
luna wrote:I'm interested in CPs because they seem very "different" from other plants--there's a lot to learn about them, and I'm eager to do so
Don't we all love something that's different? Lol

Allen,
By luna
Thanks for all the recommendations. I'm glad to hear that indoor growing might work out well and that there are smaller plants that may work well. Maybe a CP will be a holiday/post-thesis gift to myself!

I'll message you, Matt.

Thanks again, everyone!
By luna
As for drosera, my personall recommendation is that you start with a Drosera Capensis (red, narrow, or alba) - I'd go with the "narrow". The regular (non-narrow) capensis has heavier leaves and it tends to droop more. But why Capensis? Because when you feed it, it will start to wrap around the insect(s) within an hour or two; plus they're easy to grow, tolerate a fairly wide range of temps, and require no dormancy. Great for a window.
How are they in terms of size? Thanks!
By Aging_Bourbon
luna wrote:How are they in terms of size? Thanks!
5-6" in diameter
By luna
Hi, Matt,

For some reason, my PMs are getting stuck in my out box...

You mentioned that you have some tropical droseras for sell that might fit my needs. Which would you recommend specifically?"

Thanks!
By Matt
Well, D. capensis is great one to start with. D. spatulata is a much smaller but also another easy one to grow. I also have some D. dielsiana and D. tokaeinsis, but I'm going to wait a bit before selling them because I just repotted them all recently.
By English Springer
OK Luna...with all of this information you need to move from being a "tentative" grower!
Start slow and increase your holdings at your own pace.
You will catch the CP bug like the rest of us..
Oh, and welcome to the site!
Peace!
E.S.

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Fishing

Hi Chef, I'm interested in whatever you have that […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!