FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By chilipepper
I was wondering what temperatures vfts are able to withstand. if they can take heat up to 95 degrees in summer, than i might consider growing them outside. also, is 60 degrees cold enough for dormancy?
By dantt99
I personally think that 60 degrees is cold enough for dormancy as long as there is a decent change in temperature between day and night.

Also, the extremes can vary based on humidity, but here's a close guess

95-32

Maybe 100 at tops :)

Good luck :D
By Matt
Flytraps are tough plants. I've accidentally let my greenhouse get up to 120°F and they didn't die...but they didn't really like it either. As long as you have them potted in a well-insulated pot that is large enough so that the soil temperature doesn't fluctuate with the air temperature (more soil means less temperature fluctuation), they can stand temperatures below freezing and very, very hot (for short spells at least).
By Aging_Bourbon
As Matt said they are indeed tough. I live in New Mexico where the Temps are high in the summer and humidity is low. About 99-109F and RH around 5-15% and my Flytraps that I had thrived once they acclimated to my climate. If you look at my pictures you can see the proof :). For cold, It gets pretty cold here during the winter about 15F on average, but I they do protect them from below freezing temps, simply by just covering them. Hope that gives you an idea of what they withstand.
Aging_Bourbon liked this
By jht-union
VFT's are really really strong plants, in their natural habitad it can go as low as 20F or even lower, this happens for a short period of time, they can take up temps of 110F, in their habitad the temps rise some times to 110F, and the place has lots of humidity, althougt sometimes the place experiences alert of fire, but there it rains a lot!, so they can take anything extreme as long as it is for a short period of time, but the best temps in spring to grow them i would say is(80F-65F), summer(90F-70F), fall(70-50), and finally winter(50-35).

Good luck!!!
jht-union liked this
By BenWilliam
Mine have survived, quite happily, up to about 105F, when we get temps above that I move them indoors or put them under shade cloth.

SASE sent, whoops, time got away from me there

Another eBay Deal

This will be interesting to see how it turns out, […]

Browning Sarracenia and Aphids

Just wanted to update that with a new light and di[…]

Perlite from Ebay

how does this stuff look? https://www.fertilefibre[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

I was considering this brand but it seems to be ou[…]

Will it likely recover?

Definitely chop the flowers off this year to help […]

Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!