FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By wcrosman
So I live along the front range in CO. We have pretty wild temperature swings in the summer. I keep my plants on an east facing porch so they tend to get afternoon shade and full morning sun.

The other day it was supposed to hit 90 but hit 101 and one of my traps seems to have scalded and quickly lost three of its ‘leaves’. The other plant had no issues. Question one, is this normal.

This morning I got up and the temperature was only 55. Question two, will this put my traps into dormancy. It is supposed to hit 70 later in the day.

Thanks.
By wcrosman
Bottom one is the one that had scalded leaves.
Attachments:
380762A6-0493-46FD-8726-BAD77A00FA11.jpeg
380762A6-0493-46FD-8726-BAD77A00FA11.jpeg (2.19 MiB) Viewed 1777 times
By VelvetTooth
Dormancy happens because of shorter photoperiods, not just cold temperatures
By wcrosman
I should have mentioned that when I found it still in the upper 90’s and the media was cool to the touch. The actual trap itself looked scalded and faded and not as green. I misted it and the color pretty much returned until I saw it the next morning when it was worse then before. I cut the trap off but the next day two others were going.
By MikeB
I live just 40 miles west of the flytrap's native range, and it's pretty warm here, too. We've hit 100 or 101°F a couple times this month (unusually warm; we should top-out at 88-90°F). As long as my plants have sufficient water, this temperature doesn't bother them. And your plants are on the east side of the house, so that keeps them out of the sun during the hottest part of the day.

Are you sure that nothing was reflecting or concentrating light on that plant? I'm discovering that these Low-E windows are hell on plants in the yard. They reflect a lot of infrared light, and it can be pretty damn hot (I've gotten hit by reflections from my neighbors' windows; not a pleasant experience).
wcrosman liked this
By wcrosman
I am pretty certain that is not the case. The table they are on is covered by a large sun shade so no direct sun hits my sliding doors. The edge of the table is in the sun really only until about 1 pm daily. There are no houses with windows to the North with South facing windows. And the houses to the South only have windows that face North out of direct sun this time of year.

Interesting thought though. Will scope out more thoroughly as this could explain why only the one had issues. Its leaves rise above the edge of the pot while the others soil has sunk and their leaves do not rise above the edge.

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!