FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By Jonathan_
Q: Is there anyone here who lives in British Columbia and leaves their Sarracenia flava's out all year round with no mulching, no green house or wind protection during winter months? If so what part of BC are you in? and are they in the ground or in large pots?
By Panman
I don't think you are going to get away with no mulching. Even in Georgia in the US, I mulch my plants every winter. You might want to ask the folks at Sarracenia Northwest about it as they are closer to your climate
By Matt
I would think you'd be fine leaving Sarracenia outside all year if you are in coastal BC. What is your average low in the winter? The normal maximum low temperature during the winter?

I live in Ashland, Oregon, which isn't coastal, but the temperatures are pretty mild during the winter. Our maximum low temperature most winters is in the teens or perhaps single digits (Fahrenheit). I leave my Sarracenia outside all year on the patio sitting in trays of water. Sometimes the water freezes most of the way solid, but the plants all do fine. I grow S. flava, S. leucophylla and many hybrids of those plants along with S. purpurea hybrids. Never lost a plant to the winter cold here.
By Jonathan_
Same temps as you Matt. Very mild winters here and the area where I used to live (lower mainland) very rarely got below 0C. 5Celsius was known as cold for lower mainlanders. PS: While I have you Matt do you know anyone who is selling Waccamaw x self seeds that can ship to Canada.?
By Matt
Jonathan_ wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 10:19 pm Same temps as you Matt. Very mild winters here and the area where I used to live (lower mainland) very rarely got below 0C. 5Celsius was known as cold for lower mainlanders. PS: While I have you Matt do you know anyone who is selling Waccamaw x self seeds that can ship to Canada.?
Super easy then! Sarracenia would easily do well outdoors all year in your area.

Unfortunately, no, I don't know anyone who sells Waccamaw seeds. Sorry!

Hey there, welcome to the forums! If you have a[…]

Brushes For Pollination

I just use Q - tips and they work pretty well for […]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has for[…]

(Canada) Y's Exotics Group Order

Hosting this on the CPSC Forums (although you don'[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!