FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By lawrenceyys
Hi... I've bought a flytrap yesterday and I noticed we cant use water from the tap.
I've bought a Spritzer bottled water with Distillation Process label on it. I wonder if this type of water safe for my flytrap?

Really appreciated if anyone can advice me on this.

Lawrence
Attachments:
IMG_0540.jpg
IMG_0540.jpg (568.63 KiB) Viewed 7673 times
By lawrenceyys
Doesnt really have the ingredients labelled... Only Type Of Source: Underground Water.. But im not sure if they have added anything into the water.. So i wonder if this bottled drinking water would kill the traps?? Hmmm.... I bought this Spritzer water bcos it has a Distillation Process label on it..
By tommyr
lawrenceyys wrote:Doesnt really have the ingredients labelled... Only Type Of Source: Underground Water.. But im not sure if they have added anything into the water.. So i wonder if this bottled drinking water would kill the traps?? Hmmm.... I bought this Spritzer water bcos it has a Distillation Process label on it..
Unless you can test the TDS of it I wouldn't use it.
By Tarzanus
I've been writing about it a while ago, I'll try to find it..

Got it, URL of the post: http://cold-hardy.com/total-dissolved-solids-in-water/

Results here in Central Europe were:
Nearby stream 208 PPM (almost no precipitation in about a month)
Garden Pond 140 PPM
Tap water 248 PPM
Groundwater 238 PPM
Rain water (summer) 4PPM
Rain water (fall) 2PPM
Distilled water 2PPM
By evenwind
Zerowater has a interactive map where you put in zip code and it gives you actual readings from the area...

http://zerowater.com/tds.aspx?zip=
By tommyr
evenwind wrote:Zerowater has a interactive map where you put in zip code and it gives you actual readings from the area...

Not very accurate for me, they say 212, I measure 126. Get a TDS meter folks, they're more accurate.
By Matt
evenwind wrote:Zerowater has a interactive map where you put in zip code and it gives you actual readings from the area...

Very cool, but wildly innaccurate for me. Said my TDS score was 424. Just measured 65 from the tap yesterday.
By evenwind
Matt wrote: Very cool, but wildly innaccurate for me. Said my TDS score was 424. Just measured 65 from the tap yesterday.
That's too bad. Mine was spot on or I wouldn't have posted it. I guess there's just too many variables to trust anybody else's readings (especially that weird guy down the street).
By Tarzanus
Wow 65 for tap water is incredible. I measured around 60 in rain water this winter because I didn't wait long enough for the rain to completely wash the various crap from the roof. I started taking water an hour after it started and its TDS was 62. Winter smog and one month without rain made the water TDS almost too high for my carnivores. :P
By tommyr
Tarzanus wrote:Wow 65 for tap water is incredible. I measured around 60 in rain water this winter because I didn't wait long enough for the rain to completely wash the various crap from the roof. I started taking water an hour after it started and its TDS was 62. Winter smog and one month without rain made the water TDS almost too high for my carnivores. :P
I collected 5 gallons of rainwater today and the TDS was 4. Usually it's 2.
By Tarzanus
Same here. In the summer when there is less rain, TDS is around 4, in the fall and spring when it's raining a lot, it drops to 2. We havent seen rain for around a month, which means I needed to refill my water jugs and it seems the air is polluted because wood burning is getting popular again. I intend to toss that water when we get larger amount of rain.

Poslano z mojega HUAWEI P6-U06 z uporabo Tapatalk
By Domnu7
Anyone happen to know the TDS for Seattle WA? I've ordered a meter but its not due to arrive for a while and I'm tired of running to the store for distilled water several times a month. I'm also new to these forums so, hello all :D

Update: My meter arrived early, turns out the tap is just under 30 ppm, the rain water is 4 ppm,and the distilled from the safeway up the street is 1 ppm. Should 30ppm be okay? Rain water is a pain to collect at my apartment complex.
Last edited by Domnu7 on Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I got mine from a website in the […]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240424/a61a408[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!