FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By cvlover
Some people said that TDS meter is not quite correct (not me, I have no idea !!!). Do you test your TDS meter? . Measure 10/100/1000 mg salt NaCl and disolve in 100/1000 ml to see how TDS reads. It's fun to test.
By Oblivion
Adelaide tap water 370ppm, ph 6.9
2stage "pura tap" (filtered tap water) 350ppm, ph not tested (i assume its same as tap water)

rain water collected from downpipe 10-15ppm, 6.4ph (note, water has a slight dirty tint to it)

"sprint auto" demineralised water: 320ppm, 7.3ph

now normally i buy 4L bottles of quality distilled, but i have none left to test it.
this is the first time ive got the "sprint auto" stuff , as i got a 10Litre (2+1/2 gal) bottle.

normally i use rain water, and use some distilled as a bit of a rinse through for the soil.
you can see how without a TDS meter i would have thought i was giving my plants demineralised water but its really nothing more than bottled tap water.
By tc3driver
Orange County, California, USA

TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) of several water sources
  • Tapwater (RODI Inlet) -- 315 Lethal to carnivorous plants, and possibly humans
  • Under Sink RODI (RODI Outlet) -- 5 Happy for carnivorous plants, potentially lethal to humans and machines (due to high acidity).
  • Collected Rainwater -- Unknown, doesn't rain enough here.
By fuddmain
Orlando, Florida, USA

TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) of several water sources
  • Tapwater -- 158
    RO -- Unknown
    Collected Rainwater -- 14 (includes crud from roof)
    Distilled -- Unknown (My father has a distiller, so I'll get some from him to test soon)
By Matt
Many people have asked about using water from a dehumidifier and most people agree that it should be OK to use. But I've never heard of anyone actually testing it with a TDS meter to know for sure.
By BenWilliam
(After finding the right thread),
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

TAP WATER: 43ppm
DEHUMIDIFIER (AIRCON ACTUALLY): 6ppm
RAIN WATER: 15ppm - I think I contaminated it with the bucket I used to collect it.
Mt FRANKLIN BOTTLED WATER: 53ppm
BenWilliam liked this
By Gothic TRAPS
quatchi wrote:TDS of Tapwater in Vancouver, BC: last time I checked, 9. An online source quoted 3, likely in winter.
That sounds good :). How credible is this online source quatchi?

Does anyone else here from the Vancouver, BC, Canada know what the consistant TDS rating is for our tap water. I know we have some of the best drinking water in the planet, but is it good enough for CP growing? Distilled water is very affordable here, but it does add up over the course of the summer. Any knowledge or comments would be much appreciated. Thanks ;)!
Last edited by Gothic TRAPS on Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:29 am, edited 4 times in total.
By David F
True that, keep em coming, this is awesome!

Do all of you guys have tar roofs, I thought it would be bad, but I guess since most of you roof collect and since most people don't invest in metal roof houses that it is tar you use, this could ahve saved me a lot of time and some money if I could just use the runoff from my roof. :(
Finally

Finally getting some adult shaped pitchers after m[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!